Old Gas/ gum in sediment bowl

Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:10 am

One of my cubs has been neglected for about a year, I removed old gas from tank cleaned sediment bowl(1/8" deep in gum). I blew ait from gas line back through tank. Put in new gas and I get no flow to carburator. I plan on removeing new gas and take sediment bowl assembly. What is good for removing gum/varnis out of fuel system? All help appreciated...

Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:18 am

There is a screen in the top of the sediment bowl that may be gummed up, also a screen in the carb behind the fuel line fitting. float valve may also be gummed up. If there is rust in the gas tank it could be falling over the intake. Might check vents in gas cap too.

Re: Old Gas/ gum in sediment bowl

Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:13 pm

Charles Story wrote: What is good for removing gum/varnis out of fuel system?

Carburator cleaner in a spray can would be good.......

Chemtool

Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:30 pm

I used Chemtool to establish flow from tank to carb, then let it sit in carburator until it opened up. not tractor runs but only when fully chocked.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:03 pm

Now might be a good time to remove the carb, take it completely apart, and soak it in CHEM-DIP for about a week. :shock: After you remove it from the CHEM-DIP, rinse all the parts with spray cleaner and blow through all the holes/passages with compressed air. Then, go to your IH dealer and by a rebuild kit. I would suggest that you visit Rudi's server and read the articles about the IH carb submitted by Lurker Carl.

Hope all this helps in some way. 8)