This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

International C-3 Mower Spindle Froze up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike D
10+ Years
10+ Years

International C-3 Mower Spindle Froze up

Postby Mike D » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:12 pm

I have an International C-3, 60" 3 blade mowing deck (similar to a Woods Mower) on my 1947 Cub. The right side spindle has been noisy for some time. Today it locked up tight. I am pretty sure I need to replace the bearings. How do I get the spindle off the deck? Do I have to remove the pulley? If so, how? I tried a 3 prong puller and it wouldn't budge. The shaft is keyed. It has a large nut above the deck with a serated lock type washer. I can turn the nut both ways, but not all the way off. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I really need to mow about 4 acres of lawn and right now! Wife is complaining. Thanks,

Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:15 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, there should be 3 bolts in the pulley that hold it on a split collar. There should also be three empty holes as well. Unscrew those bolts and screw them into the other holes and this forces the pulley off. The collar is held on by a bolt thru the split.

One of the pulley's may appear in have been installed upside down, in other words, the 3 bolts are facing the deck. This makes that pulley line up with the center drive pulley. BTW, IH calls these pulleys 'sheaves'.

While you're fooling with one, check the condition of the others. Trouble comes in sets of 3.

Here's a link to the C-3 Manual:

Mike D
10+ Years
10+ Years

C-3 Mower Deck Froze up Pulley

Postby Mike D » Sat May 01, 2004 2:06 pm

Yes, there are three bolts in the pulley. Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

Mike

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 am

Hey Mike,

Try Kroil or equiv. on that sheave for a day or so before ya go hammerin on it. Most likely it's stuck good too. Be careful not to ding up the shaft too. Don't use a screwdriver to pry the split collar apart- it's cast and will break. Likewise for the pulley part of it too...if you need to rap on it to persuade it to separate, use a soft hammer-no steel. The two parts use a wedge type system to draw tight around the shaft. I ran a bottoming tap down the other holes to clean the decades of gunk out of there and used high grade new bolts to separate mine. Once I got the sheaves off, I took the large nut off and pressed the shaft out of the housing. Had to use a dremel tool with cutoff type wheel to cut thru most of the race and then split with chisel..carefully! The part #'s given look good. I used the Timkens too and CR seals. Don't forget to get new "star" washers too. IH has em and they're cheap. Top it all off with new grease fittings too. Oh, and the real deal blades are still available at IH also. Soon your deck will be purring like a cat like mine is !

Return to “Farmall Cub”