Something I hadn't thought of ?

Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:42 pm

:shock: Not that this hasn't happend before" Any way I recently perchested a Gear reduction that mounts on the left axel housing. Now as I'm looking at it, It will add 5 and a half inches to my rear wheel width. So the problem is #1, What do I do with the draw bar? and #2- Do I widen the front axel on the left front? :oops: But there's hope , I'm in the right place" Jack

Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:03 pm

Jack,

I think that Howard gear reduction unit originally came with a spacer block for the drawbar. You may have to make something.

I suppose you might never notice the 1/2" if you moved the front wheel 6" to match up with the notches in the steering rods and the holes in the axle.

I've been using a Ford for years with one front wheel all the way in and the other all the way out. One wheel carries more weight, but it isn't noticeable in the steering. I had to do it because of a conflict with caster wheels on a mower.

Sat May 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Thanks George" I was thinking on that line :idea: But I didn't know about the spacers that Howard made, and new someone here on the board had one. I still can't figure out why some that I seen had the gear box on both sides? :shock: