This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carbon or BATES throwout bearing which one to use ?????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed May 05, 2004 8:01 pm

While rebuilding 49-1 the part that was in the best shape of all on the whole darn tractor was the "OLD" graphite TOB. I reused the old (55 yrs) bearing :!: :!: :!: I'll bet it's good for another 55.

Use the graphite bearing. But don't forget to grease as instructed in the Service Manual.

Mike is right :!: :!: Live where you must but buy local, if you can.

My $.02

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 05, 2004 8:16 pm

Mike Schmudlach wrote:Yo's Dad,
Why would you replace something that worked for 50 yrs with some new fangled thing.......Why would you go and buy some inferior after market battery box........Why would you convert your tractor to 12 volt when a 6 volt works just fine ( if you did it right)...... Why would you buy from someone other than your IH dealer?
The reason......people are cheap......and these are the same people who complain that there isn't an IH dealer near them anymore.
Wonder why.........it's hard for them to stay in business when you don't buy from them.
My 2 cents........I'd give you a nickles worth but I can be cheap also.

Mike

Mike, I don't disagree with you at all, but one of the major reasons there aren't local IH dealers any more is that so many of the smaller farming operations have been driven out of business. They were the backbone that kept the smaller IH dealers in business. I am fortunate, I have an IH dealer that is a 4th generation dealership still in business about 9 miles from me. They have diversified in order to keep in operation, but they have been excellent in obtaining needed parts for me. I prefer to purchase from them when possible, but even then, a lot of their parts are tagged Mexico etc.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed May 05, 2004 8:24 pm

None of the bearings are cheap except the one I got off ebay.
Young man for work, old man for advice

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed May 05, 2004 8:45 pm

Oh boy ,Tell you what I'am going to do. I have a new Bates TOB and a new pressure plate.Not going to put it in. I am now going to get a new CNH TOB old type. .I am going to just throw the orig. in . If that works we know the problem.Like some of you guys said ,"hey it work for 50 years why change it."Like a old mechanic told me years ago, when a B-17 landed at our airport. I said to him "The engines are leaking all over the place".He said "Sonny, If those engines are not leaking Somthin wrong"

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed May 05, 2004 9:52 pm

OK, enough on that subject. Point well received.

NOW, lets go to my second question (I will make a new posting too)

Anything special with adjustments or installations with the new pressure plate and CARBON throw out bearing?

PLEASE see this new topic that I've just posted: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3538

John

Return to “Farmall Cub”