Re: WHAT IS IT???????????????

Tue May 04, 2004 8:50 pm

LARRY BALL wrote:WHAT IS IT YOU ASK :?: I WAS SURE ALL CUB OWNERS WOULD RECOGNIZE THIS PART. IT'S PROPER NAME IS THE THERMONUCLEAR MODULATING KANOOTIN' VALVE WITH THE VARIABLE ORFICE. HOPE I'VE BEEN A BIG HELP. YOU SEE, I KNOW MY CUB PARTS :!:
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:


Larry, I haven't seen one of those for a long time. I was sure the EPA had outlawed them! You have to have a fixed orfice valve now.

"PICTURES"

Tue May 04, 2004 9:31 pm

Ho-K, Cameras work better on a full charge.

The blue wires dont go to that giz??mo, They go to the headlights that are missing.


Gotta find a pair of them too.


Image


Image

Tue May 04, 2004 9:41 pm

I was thinking it may be a noise suppressor for a radio but since it is 6 volt, I doubt it.

Tue May 04, 2004 10:11 pm

The bumps on it look to be electronic componets such as transisters, small capacitors ,etc. It's been along time since I've used or seen one, but noise filters were frequently used on 6 volt systems that had any type of transister equipment such as radios connected to them.

Tue May 04, 2004 10:35 pm

I dont think it is any kind of a noise filter. I goes directly from the Gen to the amp-guage routed through that goodie. Damb!!, My curiosity is now getting the better of me, I may have to tear it apart just to see whats inside like I did when I was a kid. :{_}: :-:-):

Tue May 04, 2004 10:44 pm

The output from the generator actually passed through the filters on the old 6 volt systems I worked on.

Tue May 04, 2004 10:48 pm

Hey JB,

That looks like a starting capacitor for some kind of electric motor. The PO most likley put it there for noise supression for one reason or another. The generator output is quite noisy and a little soft. Could be they put it there to stiffen the output some :?: :?: :?:

:P :P That Cub may have came from Parump and when Art turned on his "Time Travler" the voltage of the generator dropped to near zero. So the cap would help for a ms or so. :lol: :lol:

Loose the thing :!: :!: :!:

Tue May 04, 2004 11:40 pm

The Guy I bought it from said he used it to pull a spray-rig through his vinyard. Maybe he liked to listen to Heavy-Metal Acid-Rock on his transistor radio while he was spraying or could be he got sweeter grapes without static.

This Cub ran so sweet that it would be my luck to not run if I loosed it Donny.

:arrow: :arrow: Yeah!!, GO~KINGS :{_}: They just beat the Wolves.

Tue May 04, 2004 11:41 pm

Looks like the field has been directly grounded. The mistery part must be a "solid state cut-out", in other words a diode.

Unhook one end of it and use an ohmmeter to check the resistence. Then reverse the leads and measure it again. Should be near zero one way and near infinity the other.

Wed May 05, 2004 7:35 am

JIm, I noticed the field lead being directly grounded, but it didn't register that the cutout was gone. You're probably right, as bad as I hate to admit it. :D

Wed May 05, 2004 8:04 am

And, remember that a capacitor (condensor) doesn't conduct electricity, it is a storage device much like a battery whose purpose is to smooth out spikes and ripples coming from the generator. it's the alternating current (AC) component riding on the 12 volts that causes the noise in the radio.

now, remember tuning your AM radio to the low end so that you could hear the noise from the stop light changing? (so you could beat your bud off the line) :lol:

Wed May 05, 2004 11:29 am

JB:

For the headlights, email David or go to the site.

Chown Tractor Parts

As for the whatchamacallit :roll: -- when you figure it out, let us know :)

Wed May 05, 2004 12:16 pm

Well, whatever it is, you don't need it! I'd remove it from the circuit and correct the wiring to original configuration. It is possible / likely that it is a noise suppressor.

Wed May 05, 2004 1:11 pm

Bigdog wrote:Well, whatever it is, you don't need it! I'd remove it from the circuit and correct the wiring to original configuration. It is possible / likely that it is a noise suppressor.


B.D., There is no voltage regulator so this must take the place of one. SO, If I remove it that would mean that I would have to go scrounge up regulator & parts to make it original??.

Wed May 05, 2004 1:18 pm

Yes it would, but then at least, you would know what you were dealing with. I had forgotten that there was no other regulator (old age I guess) so it is probably a regulator of some sort. (I should read more carefully too!) I just don't quite see how it could regulate with no connections other than a through-feed. If'n it was me, I'd have already ripped the cover off of it and broke it good by now!