This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CONCLUSION to Carbon TOB saga, now please help me on this

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

CONCLUSION to Carbon TOB saga, now please help me on this

Postby John Niekamp » Wed May 05, 2004 10:14 pm

I basically made up my mind last night after reading all the PROs and CONs in using either the CARBON over the BATES.

I called my local Case IH dealer today and ordered a new clutch, pressure plate and CARBON throwout bearing. It will all be in tomorrow morning and hopefully on it's way back together this time tomorrow night. With any luck, BACK TOGETHER

NOW, here's my new question:

I took my old carbon throwout bearing and I checked my engagement yoke and it appeared to be bent and when I tightened up the bolt on the two halves it locked up the carbon bearing housing. Looking at the the yoke, it had a slight bend causing it to "lock up" the bearing housing so it wouldn't move. I THINK the bearing housing should be able to piviot.

I straightned it all out and everything seems to be fine now. I put this all back in the torque tube with the pin that hold the top of the yoke and connected the clutch rod and it all appears to be the way it should. I am hoping that when the new bearing is in place, everything will be as it is now.

IS there any other precautions or anything else I should also look at before I bolt the two halves back together?ALSO, does anyone know the torqe spec. on the 4 flywheel bolt to the crankshaft?

Thanks,

John
Last edited by John Niekamp on Thu May 06, 2004 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Thu May 06, 2004 7:51 am

Yes, first replace your rear main seal. Then resurface your flywheel if it is not perfectly flat. Inspect your flywheel ring gear and deal with it as necessary. If your oil pump gasket is leaking, install a new one and check the clearances on the oil pump gears.

For the pressure plate. the release fingers need to be adjusted to the correct dimension and need to be as even between each other as possible. Others can tell you the procedure and the dimensions.

In fact, I think knowing what I know now, I might consider putting my flywheel down flat on a bench and bolt my pressure plate to it and adjust my release fingers where I could see what I was doing and get at it easily.

Then if you have a press, you can position your TOB on the fingers and release your pressure plate and watch to see what does or not rub or interfere. Those fingers can be adjusted through the hand hole but ..... you see the picture.

I hear the thundering herd of worms 'acomin.
Last edited by Yo's Dad on Sun May 09, 2004 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 06, 2004 8:27 am

Yo's Dad wrote:In fact, I think knowing what I know now, I might consider putting my flywheel down flat on a bench and bolt my pressure plate to it and adjust my release fingers where I could see what I was doing and get at it easily.
That's what I did on the last one I replaced. The original bolts are too short to catch the threads and pull the pressure plated down on the disk with out some additional pressure, so I got 3 bolts a little longer and started one in each leg. After I pulled the pressure plate down part way with them I put the originals in the 3 other holes and pulled them down the rest of the way and then replaced the longer ones with the correct size. Of course this doesn't work with the Auburn clutch since it only has 1 bolt in each leg instead of 2 as the Rockford clutch uses.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 06, 2004 4:20 pm

Guess I am going to use the IH as well.

Primary reason being, if it was good enough for 50 years it should be good enough for me too....

Second reason - I have not heard a peep out of Bates Corp..... so ifn they don't want to answer, the must not want me business :roll: .... oh well. Least now my head won't hurt having to make a decision as to which one would be better. :wink:

Course now my Cubs will be original right down to the TOB! :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”