This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plugs and Seals and Stuff

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Plugs and Seals and Stuff

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri May 07, 2004 9:44 pm

Trying to make progress on my 51 Cub rehab, I have a couple or more questions for the experienced Cub rebuilders.

1. Distributor lube plugs: I seem to recall hearing that these (2) plugs should be removed and replaced with Zerk grease fittings. The one nearest the cap turned out easily - the one nearest the governor is hopelessly frozen. Is it worth drilling it out, or should I leave it alone?

2. Radiator Drain Plug: I was very thankful today that I was able to remove it easily - have read many horror stories on this site about that plug. What do you guys recommend to keep it unstuck? Teflon tape, pipe dope, etc.?

3. Oil Pan Seal: do you recommend a gasket? Does anyone simply use the tubes of black RTV gasket making compound? Is that OK on the final drive pans also?

4. Zerk Fittings: is it worth replacing all of the Zerk fittings on the tractor in case their clogged, etc?

I'd appreciate your experiences

Thanks
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Plugs & Seals

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat May 08, 2004 8:06 am

Paul, I recommend using a good anti-seize compound on the threads of the radiator drain plug. "NeverSeize" is one brand I am familiar with. Regarding the oil pan, I prefer using a gasket, but I also apply a light coating of "Permatex" on the mating flanges.......Bill V
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 08, 2004 2:51 pm

Radiator drain plug- I bought a brass plug from my local auto parts store.

Oil pan, make sure it is straight, if not lay it on a board and tap with small hammer. I'd use a gasket, maybe silicone permatex too if you wish.

Zerk fittings - I'd only replace ones that are stuck. Try to grease them. If they are stuck you will know as soon as you pump the gun.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Sat May 08, 2004 2:56 pm

Paul,

For #1, I'll defer to the old pros but I believe in 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' unless you just need something to do.

#2, The anti-seize mentioned by Bill is good stuff although I did use teflon tape on mine and it has worked fine so far.

#3, I just did mine a couple weeks ago and just went with the gasket and it is doing fine. Typically I always try to use the IH gasket unless there is a reason to use something more form fitting (i.e. damage or funny bumps that you can't get out). As long as there is pretty smooth surface and it is very clean, I don't recall ever having a problem- cars or tractor.

#4, refer to the second half of my answer to #1. If it is damaged, replace it. I'm not a mechanic but of all the grease fittings I've greased, you'll know pretty quick if it is clogged once you start pumping grease. If it is and not otherwise damaged you can take it off and just clean it. If you have spare ones, as I usually do, I'll put a new one on and throw the clogged one in some kerosen, clean it up, and save for future use.

Hope this helps, Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 08, 2004 9:29 pm

Paul, regarding the lube plugs on distributor, go to Rudi's manual site and look at the pmp manual. The distributer is on pages 24 - 27.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”