This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Radiator Question

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Tue May 11, 2004 12:53 am

This last weekend, I was told that maybe I should not have painted my replacement radiator. I had cleaned it off, top to bottom, and then sprayed it with some primer. The primer is now dry and I was getting ready to use some IH Farmall red spray paint to finish it off before installing it. (I am still waiting for the radiator gasket to arrive by mail this week.)

Did I make a mistake painting the radiator fins? It seems hard to believe that paint could make it overheat.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me.

Tom :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gunner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Radiator Question

Postby Gunner » Tue May 11, 2004 7:38 am

Tom,
I have a 49 Cub and the radiator is painted silver. I have ran the tractor alot in 90 degree heat here in Virginia and have had no overheating problems. Your radiator should be ok painted.

Gunner

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 11, 2004 7:44 am

The originals were painted red, and they had no trouble. Most radiator shops paint them black, one of the reasons being that black rediates heat better. The only way I think you would run into a problem would be if it had too many coats of paint.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue May 11, 2004 10:34 am

The replacement radiator in my Cub is painted black and I prefer it black so it will stay black as I paint the rest "RED".

As John said paint wont hurt it unless it is applied so thick that it restricts airflow through the fins. I would think that a flat-based paint with the consistancy of primer would be the best to use.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”