Fuel Tank Finish

Sat May 15, 2004 10:30 am

Hi all,

I've got a 49 Cub I bought and have been going over for a couple of months now. This cub has got some big rusty spots on the fuel tank/hood and some dents and bends. I'm not sure if I should try to bondo, sand, prime and paint or what. I want to make this look nice and don't mind the work, but I'm not sure if I could make it look purty going the bondo route.
If I had my choice I probably have the whole things sand blasted but that still leaves the dents.

Anyone know of someone who straightens and refinishes fuel tanks?

Anyone have any suggestions?
See a pics here:
http://www.metrotone.com/20040515_Tractor_Work/index.html

Sat May 15, 2004 1:43 pm

If the dents are small, a piece a dry ice may "pop" the dents out when laid on the surface of an empty, clean tank.

Sat May 15, 2004 9:11 pm

First I would hammer and straighten all the dent the best you can. The part
where the ribs are will be hard to fix, so dolly with care. Sand blast all the paint and rust off. Clean bare metal, bondo and work out all the dents . Looks like you will need to do some welding to repair the crack by where the headlamp goes. I had to weld the bracket back that supports the hood on mine. Bondo works well if it is used like it was designed .Bondo has gotten a bad rap from people trying to build panels, instead of replacing them. They would fill an inch or more dent or rust out hole . Put a gallon on a quarter panel and paint over it before it had a chance to cure. Then you get the cracks and pop outs. Put it on in thin coats let it cure 24 hrs before priming.I like to grind where I bondo so it will have a good surface to bond to. 24 grit grinding disc. I like the stain free bondo. I have seen the bondo bleed thru the paint on regular bondo. It will have a dark spot where the bondo is. Have
not had this problem with stainfree. Pup