This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Intake valve condition and a tool question, if you please...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
robstagis
10+ Years
10+ Years

Intake valve condition and a tool question, if you please...

Postby robstagis » Fri May 21, 2004 10:25 am

The intake valves on my '62 Cub are worn sort of concave on the seating area. What would you guys do? Grind 'em/lap 'em in place or replace 'em?

Valve-spring compressor - what do you guys use? Mine has straight arms and doesn't fit up into the upper reaches of the valve area. Anybody got a tool number or suggestion? Anything's better than what I did - using one arm of the compressor and prying on my 'official' pivot - a 1" bronze gate valve body...then fishing the keepers outta the creankcase. That' guaranteed to take the wind out of your sails.......

Sheepish Rob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 21, 2004 11:33 am

Rob, depending on how badly they are grooved, I think I'd try grinding them first. It won't hurt to try. As far as a spring compressor, use a smaller tool designed for lawn mower engines.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 21, 2004 12:25 pm

Rob, For the valve spring compressor, I use a modified small engine valve spring compressor. It looks line an elongated A. I've turned one set of the "fingers" on it over and use it with one end resting against the bottom of the casting, and the other side pushes the spring up against the top of the block rather than having one set of fingers on each end of the spring. Also a little dab of grease works good for holding the keepers on the shaft while letting the retainer and spring down over them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sat May 22, 2004 7:36 am

George W , Made one and if he reads this , maybe he'll post the picture again.

Return to “Farmall Cub”