This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Questions about possible Cub purchase. UPDATED WITH PICS

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Questions about possible Cub purchase. UPDATED WITH PICS

Postby ChickenWing » Sat May 22, 2004 2:00 am

Hi all, I'm new here. I have a lead on a Cub from a friend at work. He has had the Cub for about 15 years, and said it is just sitting in his barn, and he wants to get rid of it. So we talked a bit about it. He said it needs some work, he's had problems with keeping the engine from stalling and has some dings and scratches. This does not worry me, I am interested in a complete overhaul and restoration project. He said that it is either a 1947, or a 1949, he didn't remember. He is getting the serial number so I can verify which. It also has a woods mower deck that he says it and the PTO work flawlessly. I asked about Hydraulics, and he said it does't have any. This is my main question. Can a hydraulic unit (touch control) be added on to a Cub that was not originally produced with it? I would really like to have this capability, as I would also like to use the tractor for snow removal, mowing and any other fun tasks i could think of. In any case, I don't think this will be a deal breaker, because he is giving me a heck of a deal at $600. But I would like to know if the hydraulics can be added on. Thanks. Greg.
Last edited by ChickenWing on Tue May 25, 2004 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat May 22, 2004 3:51 am

Welcome to the Cub family board Greg. For the price of $600.00 you should already have that Cub snatched up and tucked away at home. _Dont let that deal slip by you as those kind of deals are few & far between.

The answer to your Q. about hydraulics is, Yes a touch-control can be added to it.

"NOW" go get it and tell us the Whole Story, Were nosey around here about new Cubs in the family.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat May 22, 2004 6:16 am

Greg:

To echo JB, WELCOME :!: to the forum and the family :D

$600.00 for a used Cub, runs pretty much, has only minor tin problems and comes with a Woods mower? Jumpin Jehosephat :!: In my shop in a heart beat!

Quick :!: :idea: go get it before he changes his mind! And yes, as JB mentioned a Touch Control pump most definitely can be added.

I have a 48 with and a 51 without. As the 51 is restored, he will most likely get a pump if I can find one!

You should be able to get a good one for a reasonable amount of money. See JP Tractor Salvage or TM Tractor Parts or Chown Tractor Parts. They are all top quality people to deal with and quick too.

Do try to stay away from ebay though, the parts there are usually going for way more than they ought to. Save yourself some cash and worry by dealing with reputable parts places.

Again, welcome :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 22, 2004 8:38 am

Cw, grab it. To quote the other replies, all cubs were produced so hydralics can be added. Depending on how lucky you are, I've seen complete touch control systems sell from $250 to $500. The hand lift is not that difficult to use. There is a big spring on it that you adjust depending on the weight of the implement you are using. When it is adjusted correctly th epring balances the weight and all you do is overcome inertia.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sat May 22, 2004 10:10 am

Ok guys, thanks for the replies. I am going to snatch it up quick, but it probably won't be til next weekend. He lives about 60 miles away, and I have to arrange for a trailer. Its kind of funny how I found out about it. While I was driving to work the other day, I saw a cub for sale along the street. When I got to work, I was just talking and mentioned I saw a 1950's -ish Farmall Cub for sale, and it look nice all cleaned up and all, and how I might like to get one some day. Then he said, "oh, i got one in the barn i want to get rid of." Some luck, eh? He wasn't actively trying to sell it. I asked him again the next day if he still wanted to sell it, and he said yes. He asked his son if he wanted it, and if not he was selling it. Son didn't want it. I do. :D

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 22, 2004 10:16 am

"Arrange for a trailer??????????????????"

Before the guys here sully my reputation, you should know that I have a great cub hauling trailer. :)

It does a fine job of cub hauling from all over the country! Now, where did you say this cub is?????? :) :) :)

Guys - SHHHHHHHH!! Don't say anything!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat May 22, 2004 10:23 am

:twisted:

BigDog, Greg is either a lucky newcomer to the board or he has got wind of your reputation. He was smart not giving the Cubs I.D. numbers cause you gots one of those CPS locating systems mounted on the dash of your truck. :twisted:
Then came Bronson

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat May 22, 2004 11:39 am

He's also keeping his location secret! He may have been "lurking" long enough to get wind of Bigdog's reputation.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sat May 22, 2004 2:00 pm

It is in..... um......Alaska! Yep, Alaska. :wink:

Other wise it may be only a short drive from BigDog (Hint: I live near
Toledo). Hmm, I'll let you know exactly where next weekend, after it is chained and double padlocked in my garage.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 22, 2004 2:33 pm

If you're close to Toledo, you'd better watch out for Grandpa George! You'll notice that his years of experience just allow him operate without being noticed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 22, 2004 2:41 pm

ChickenWing wrote:It is in..... um......Alaska! Yep, Alaska. :wink:

Other wise it may be only a short drive from BigDog (Hint: I live near
Toledo). Hmm, I'll let you know exactly where next weekend, after it is chained and double padlocked in my garage.

You might be surprised how well Bigdog knows Temperence! At the time of his death, my firstborn son and Bigdog's uncle was building a new home near there in Bedford Twp., near Stearns Rd and Lewis Ave. He was a field supervisor for Forrester - Wherle.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sat May 22, 2004 3:34 pm

George Willer wrote:
You might be surprised how well Bigdog knows Temperence! At the time of his death, my firstborn son and Bigdog's uncle was building a new home near there in Bedford Twp., near Stearns Rd and Lewis Ave..

Holy cow, I am only a couple miles from there. I am near Lewis and Erie. I am also in Bedford Twp. But, the tractor is not :D

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon May 24, 2004 10:03 am

Sorry Big Dog :oops: I am just about 20 miles away, now just to find it. Oops my trailer loaded with two loads of hay.
Anyways ChickenWing get her home if you would like a hand me and Al.K.Haul have been known to pull a wrench. :D :evil: :twisted: And I can talk about CUB'S all day. I am over by Tecuseh. Or 8 miles west of Cabela's. 8) Good luck Cowboy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Tue May 25, 2004 12:34 pm

I drove out to get a close look at this cub today. It has about a 6 inch dent in the gas tank, another in the hood, the grill is dented pretty good too. There is a crack in the bottom of the block, but nothing to significant, i dont think. The rubber is pretty much shot. The bolt holes on the manifold/carburator were stripped, and are held on with a bolt and nut. Choke lever is missing. Didn't try to start it, cause the battery was dead. He said it hasn't been run in a few years. We pulled it with the John Deere to make sure the engine wasn't froze. It turned quite easily. There were some ugly brazes and welds on various parts, like the hood area around the sideplate and grille. also a weld where the nut should go on the top of the right side front wheel. (tie rod thingie--is this the technical term?). The oil was still almost full, and looked pretty clean. I forgot to check in the gas tank. He says he thinks the problem with keeping it running is in the govenor or drive gear for the distributor. It will probably take a little work to get it in running order, and a fair bit of body work, or replacements to get it pretty. What do you all think? Worth $600? I think he may let it go cheaper, cause he just wants to get rid of it, and I acted a bit disapointed by its condition :) I may even get a better deal. Heres' the pics.

http://members.buckeye-express.com/gmaddux/tractor.htm

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue May 25, 2004 12:43 pm

CW
Be careful, with the tags showing on the back of that camper Bigdog may show up with some money and his trailer before you deside.

Return to “Farmall Cub”