As you all might remember, Ellie-Mae has a terrible problem with the drain plug on the front bolster. My brother-in-law George had torn up the end so bad it was just a point and could not be removed. We had even tried welding on a nut with a stick welder to no avail.
Also, I have mentioned over the last little while that Ellie was kind of stick on shifting and tended to grind a bit which was worrisome for someone who never played with a clutch before.
Anyways, to start with the story.
I have been building another one of my little projects
and was taking Ellie over to see my father-in-law when this Ram 1500 4x4 screeches to a sudden halt in front of Ellie and I. Well, a little un-nerved we proceeded to where my FIL was sitting on the swing, shut down Ellie, took a breath or two and turned to meet these two guys from the truck.
Seems they are neighbours, my son Duane knows Jerry's son - yadayadayada
They have also been paying attention to my antics with Ellie as I strove to get her purring like the proverbial kitten. Didn't know it, but Jerry's Dad, Al has a 52 with a fast hitch 194, Cub-54 blade, disc harrow, spring harrow and a Cub-22 mower among other things.
They noticed that Ellie runs like a top, (thanks to all the great guys and their help here on the forums
) and were meaning to stop by on numerous occassions but things happen so the stop was delayed. Apparently their Cub barely runs, grinds like all get out, smokes a bit and generally is in ill health. Good shape, but is showing its age.
We chatted about the project I have been working on, and then they asked if I would help them fix up their Cub and they would pay me whatever I wanted to boot
Some serious they are about getting their Cub running - planting time is here and Al wants to put in a garden. He hasn't been able to easily for the last year or two because the Cub was running so poorly. Everything they tried didn't work.
Sooooo, I agreed to help with whatever I could on one major condition. I did not want to be paid any money, neighbours don't do that, they trade, barter share, but cash makes it almost like a business....
Oh for the time frame - this was this past Thursday at about 6pm or so. They said they would bring the tractor over in the next couple of days or so, and I could play with it at my leisure....... soooo needless to say I was kind of surprised when their truck pulled into my driveway hauling a trailer with a Cub hidden inside at 9:45pm THAT NIGHT
We unloaded the Cub, Al started it up, and it was everything they said it was. Ran like pooh, smelled like it, putted and burped like crazy, and the carb leaked all over the place. Put it into gear and grind, crunch -- you get the picture. We agreed that I would have a look in the morning and then get to it as soon as I had me project completed.
Sooo, that is what we did. I played with the idle screws - got it running smoother, but as I suspected - there was dirt in the fuel system. Oh, not fuel bowl, an in-line filter, a couple of different rubber hoses and this god awful contraption stuck into the gas inlet on the carb - yikes! Gonna have to rebuild the carb. Ordered the parts - be here next Wednesday (holiday weekend - Queen Victoria's birthday - now mind you she has been gone over a 100 years, but we still get the 4 day weekend). Took the carb apart in the meanwhile to see what it looked like --- yuuuuck! 1/4 teaspoon junk in the float compartment. Little hole at the end of the jet plugged as well as the other orifices! Cleaned all that and reassembled the carb. Lots of other problems with the carb as well, but will get to them during the rebuild.
Next, I took a page from John and George's book. Decided that while I was there, I would check the tube from the air breather to the block ---- plugged up tighter than a drum. Cleaned that, reassembled and started it up. Mmmmmm - much smoother, adjust this a little, then that a little and it is starting to run better.
Next! Move on to the clutch. Give David a call -- much needed advice and clearly given as well, even I could understand it, thanks to all the discussion here on the fingers and their adjustment - thanks guys
Loosend the nut and 1/2 turn on each finger, one at a time. Button it up, and gave it a run.
Runs better, not great, but much better. Al, can now plow his garden and Jerry and I will continue the repairs/rebuilds over the next few weeks/months. Come spring they hope to have it totally restored.
Oh, here is a side bar ---
Turns out, unbeknownst to me that this particular Cub was actually bought brand new from the dealer in 52 by my FIL's GodFather and Uncle - Ovila LeBlanc. It was sold to Al's father just after Ovila had his first heart attack, about a year before he died back in the 60's. So kind of a family connection here!
Just to finish off the story, Jerry had me bring Ellie over to his place last night, and that was the nicest 5 km drive I had with Ellie. He put a nut over the drain plug, mig welded it, and now I can drain my rad. We also adjusted her clutch fingers as well and now there is no more noises and she shifts beautifully.
Aren't neighbours wonderful
Gotta run, need to build a puter for a buddy, he just walked in the door.. cheers