This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

timing mark

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmer.boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

timing mark

Postby farmer.boy » Mon May 24, 2004 8:51 am

My pulley has only one timing mark. Is this TDC or 16' before TDC?

Stanley

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon May 24, 2004 9:09 am

Stanley,

Your Cub was originally fitted with a mag and the single mark was used to find TDC for installing the mag.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

farmer.boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby farmer.boy » Mon May 24, 2004 2:52 pm

Thanks George,

Now that my system is no longer magneto based do I time it such that the points are .020 at TDC or should I advance it a bit? I have heard it runs better advanced but may be prone to kickback. I use the handcrank usually and it fires off on the first pull.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon May 24, 2004 9:01 pm

Stanley,

The points should be set at .020" when the rubbing block is exactly on the highest point on the cam. Then the distributor should be set so that the points just begin to open at TDC. An ohmeter is very useful to determine the exact point. This is the right way to set it for a hand cranked tractor. The centrifugal advance automatically advances the spark properly when it is running. (I think the automatic advance is 16 degrees)

A properly set mag. or dist. should never kick back... and an operator cranking properly should always expect it to.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”