front and belly mount blade?

Tue May 25, 2004 6:40 am

I just bought a blade for my '48 cub - however pieces are missing. I was wondering if it is a front mount blade, or belly mount. Reading thru the forums, it seems that the blade can be either depending on the mounting brackets you get? I'd really like to be able to front mount it in the winter, and belly mount during the summer for grading - does that sound far fetched? I would add a pic, but don't have it on the internet anywhere.[/img]

Tue May 25, 2004 7:47 am

The blade can be mounted either belly or front on a regular cub. However, it does not have enough clearance to be mounted under the belly on a lowboy. If you go to Rudi's "Cub Manual" site, look for the Cub 54/54A Blade manual. It will have a parts list you can view and determine what you have or don't have. Hope this helps - some........

Oh, yes....... welcome to the board. Don't forget to read the Announcement & Sticky at the top of the posts. Plenty of good info.

Tue May 25, 2004 9:23 am

Here is some good pictures of blade mounting.

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/blade54_002.htm

Tue May 25, 2004 10:51 am

The pictures on TM are excellent. I have a question about the drawbar mounting shown there. They show the bolt from the drawbar to the mounting plate installed. Should it be removed to allow the drawbar to ride up/down on the pivot pin? Some of the plows are done that way. Maybe they just loosen the 2 mounting bolts and accomplish the same thing?

Stanley

Tue May 25, 2004 10:53 am

It is adjustable for the moldboard plow. Needs to be fixed for the blade.

Tue May 25, 2004 11:17 am

Also, for use with the belly mount blade, the drawbar is still mounted in the rear holes, just turned around facing forward. The depth control lever couldn't attach to it mounted that way.

Tue May 25, 2004 11:36 am

so are you saying that if I wanted to, I wouldn't even need to buy the additional drawbar, I could just turn my current drawbar around?

Tue May 25, 2004 11:37 am

That's correct.

Tue May 25, 2004 12:00 pm

mymariah wrote:so are you saying that if I wanted to, I wouldn't even need to buy the additional drawbar, I could just turn my current drawbar around?
Yup, however you don't have any way to pull a trailer, etc. since your drawbar is reversed.

Tue May 25, 2004 12:06 pm

so are you saying that if I wanted to, I wouldn't even need to buy the additional drawbar, I could just turn my current drawbar around?

mymariah,

Although it isn't really necessary, the advantage of the alternate drawbar... you can still retain the regular drawbar in its' normal position for other uses. Mine was just made using a drawing on Rudi's site. In the past, I've simply turned the drawbar around.