This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Making an easy job dificult

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Making an easy job dificult

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 27, 2004 9:40 am

When I picked Missy up there were still a few minor problems to be taken care of that Bud hadn't had time to fix. He told me that if I had waited a couple more weeks he would have had them all done, but I couldn't let him have all the fun. :D

One of the problems I had was that the point had broken off one of the set screws that holds the steering knuckle to the spindle shaft, and was stuck in the hole. A logical course of action seemed to be to drill it and tap the hole so I could run a screw into it and use the screw to pull the broken point out, or possibly drill it from the rear and use a punch to drive it out. Decided to try to drill and tap it first. Got the tap in a few threads and broke it. Luckily there was enough showing that I could get hold of it and back it out. Ran a screw into the threads and used a small prybar to pull on it. The threads stripped off the screw. Decided I neede to take the spindle out and take it to my work bench or to a machine shop, so i rigged a sling so I wouldn't damge the new paint and proceded to raise the front high enough for the spindle to come out. While I was wiping the grease off prior to taking it to the basement I noticed a hole in the shaft opposite the broken point. Stuck a punch in the hole and tapped it a couple times with my hammer, and the broken point pooped out. If I had looked first, all I would have had to do was turn the spindle around and tap the point out, no drilling, tapping, or lifting involved. Called myself a couple of appropriate names, and reassembled everything.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 27, 2004 9:52 am

John:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You ain't alone :roll: :!: I seem to do that all the time. The simpler the job is, the more difficult I seem to make it. Must be that we like challenges and if we don't get em naturally we tend to ensure that they pop up on a regular basis :oops: :roll: :wink:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu May 27, 2004 4:46 pm

Must be that we like challenges and if we don't get em naturally we tend to ensure that they pop up on a regular basis

You like challenges?? I just spent 2 days of valuable tractor time, changing a water pump on my daughter's Toyota. Now that's a challenge!! Had to take the whole front of the engine off. :twisted: :evil: :twisted: AArrggghhhh!!!
Make you wanna say something ugly!
Now, I'll get to work on my newest acquisition........and I'll feel much better tomorrow.
HR

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Fri May 28, 2004 8:57 pm

[offstage left - evil, sardonic chuckle :? ]
John that is a perfect story to boost your standing among us mortals!
Anyone who doesn't have some [many?] similar stories to tell is either not being honest or pays too much attention to George Willer.
Glad to hear your baby is back home and you are enjoying!
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 28, 2004 9:27 pm

If I told all of my similar stories, I could fill a book! I was always told "If you ain't makin' mistakes, you ain't doin' nothin!"
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Fri May 28, 2004 10:12 pm

Bigdog wrote

"If you ain't makin' mistakes, you ain't doin' nothin!"

Then I am busy all the time

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 28, 2004 10:53 pm

Larry in IN wrote:John that is a perfect story to boost your standing among us mortals!
How do you think George earned his present level of knowledge?

That one wasn't as bad as the day I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why the torque tube and engine on my "burn victim" parts tractor would only seperate about 1/2 inch, and no more. I had forgotten to remove the flywheel cover on the bottom front of the torque tube. :oops: :oops: :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat May 29, 2004 12:44 am

There's not enough bandwidth on this site to list all my stories. But it sure has been fun...most of the time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's how we get the experience that the Great and Wonderful OZ (Mr. GW) tells us about.

Keep up the good work John. Glad Missy's back in Mosi :D :D

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sat May 29, 2004 7:34 pm

Reminds me of a little bit of wisdom read in a farm publication; "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement." :lol:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Return to “Farmall Cub”