This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lower Cub radiator side covers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Lower Cub radiator side covers

Postby John Niekamp » Thu May 27, 2004 10:52 pm

Can anyone tell me if there are any other brackets on the lower part of the hood that holds the radiator side covers on? The covers that I am talking about have, in my case has a "LO-BOY" emblem on them.

They have two 1/4 inch NC bolts/screws that attaches to the hood and then two more 1/4 in NC bolts/screws holding it on the bottom to the bolster. Then the grill attaches to these side covers.

It just seems to be weak and I think that is why my covers were all cracked and busted out. I was thinking that maybe I was mssing some brackets to the radiator supports.

PLUS I notice that I have two holes on the lower part of the hood. One is probably a 1/2 clear drilled hole and the other has a 1/2 inch NC nut welded on the inside of the hood, I ASSUME this hole is for the head lights, but what is the clear drill hole used for? the headlight wiring maybe?

John N

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Thu May 27, 2004 11:06 pm

John,
The "doglegs" you are talking about bolt to the hood and then on the lower housing. Depending on your model, there should be some bracket that attach the hood to the radiator side channels. This, I believe, supports the weight of the hood. I have found on several occassions, that previous owners do not re-attach the hood to these brackets, and use the doglegs to support the weight of the hood. Thus they get bent and all out of shape.
HR

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Fri May 28, 2004 6:24 am

Hi John
On my 61 there are two brackets, I think that were spot welded to the hood that bolt to the radiator side support. I am not sure on the bot size or lenght 1/4 0r 5/16 bolt size. On my 61 one braket was missing, you can get one from a salvage yard as I did. Paul K. in N.H.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 28, 2004 9:09 am

HR and Paul gave you the answer on the brackets. The other 2 holes you asked about are for the headlights. The forward one for mounting the light and the rear for the wire. The rear should have a rubber grommet if the lights are installed.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Fri May 28, 2004 5:44 pm

Okay, let me get this straight in my head here. Please bare with me.

I take it that there are TWO brackets on each side of the hood? There is one of these brakckets welded to each side of the hood and this one bolts to the radiator support channels with spot welded nut in the radiiator support channel. In order to get to these botls, the grill need to be off. I think mine was a 3/8 inch NC, may have been 5/15 In, makes no difference.

Then there is another smaller barcket of some sort that helps hold the all together? If so then these are whats missing on mine.

I will try to take a picture and post it tonight of what I have on mine.
It just seems to be flimsy and that is why my side cover were crakced and broken up.

John

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Fri May 28, 2004 10:58 pm

John,
Just one bracket per side and I don't think it's supposed to be welded. I looked in the parts manual but couldn't find them listed. One hole on each side of the hood accomodates the screw and nut to the bracket. Grill has to be removed to get to them. Can be cumbersome to get to, probably why they are left off on occassion. No brackets involved with the "doglegs". 2 screws at the top, 2 at the bottom. The 2 larger screws, with welded nut on back of dogleg panel are for the grill. I'll be going through this tomorrow with my'50 while I clean that area up a little. I'll take a picture or two if it will help.
HR

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Fri May 28, 2004 11:23 pm

OK,
I dug through my archives and found a hood picture. On the left you will see the headlight mounting stud and the hole behind it for the wire,(w/ grommet). Visible underneath, where the top corner of the grill would be, you can see the bottom half of the bracket. The hole visible, mounts to the radiator side channel. Same on the other side. On the bottom lip of the hood itself, you can see where the top 2 screws for the side panels go. Let me know if this helps.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Fri May 28, 2004 11:30 pm

Thanks HR,

No, I don't think you need to take the time to take pictures, I think I follow on the idea now. I went and installed my grill this evening and that stiffened everything up on the sides and lower part of the hood.

As I was installing the grill I can now remeber that there was only one bolt and bailing wire holding the grill on. Two of the bolts were broken off on the side panels and the other one didn't have the spot welded nut there. so I think the grill is what makes it all stiffer.

I had so many bolts and things apart on the tractor these past couple of months it hard to think what was done.

I know I have a couple of boxes full of bolts, makes mw wonder what I forgot, LOL. Acvtually, most all of them were replaced with new grade 8 and/or Stainless steel fastners. I know the St. St. bolts aren't original, but I sure like the looks of them, I left them un-painted, for that little bit of contrast, it kind of sets it off from all that darn RED.

John

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Fri May 28, 2004 11:40 pm

LOL, Just as I sent that last one for posting, I got an email that someone posted to my question, (you)

You hood looks just like mine, but yours much nicer looking. I didn't take the time in removing all of the dent's, just the ones that I could beat out from the underneath side. I was unsure if I wanted to use bondo in the hood, due to all the viberation and it cracking out. I found this guy who knows the art of "leading" and he told me if I could wait until this fall/winter he would learn me the how to's, of the dying art.

I do however would like to ask you if you wouldn't mind giving the demissions of those head light studs. I have none and the headlights I have for mine are just some generic 6 volt tractor lights. I will have to locate some originals as some later date, until then, these will do.

From the looks of it I can make some studs like yours and adapt these headlights easily to the studs.

Just be one less thing I will have to buy. Might even make them from Stainless Steel for that "contrast" look, lol

John

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Fri May 28, 2004 11:45 pm

PS:

Could I have your gas tank cap? HA HA Mine looks like a spray paint cap. These are the replacement vented one's that Case/IH are sending out. Man are they UGLY .

John

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat May 29, 2004 12:57 am

hr's49Cub,

Glad you posted that picture. My 55 hood has the brackets welded. 49-1 and Roland both have the brackets bolted. Untill I saw your picture I was going to weld them in place. You saved me from another mistake. What are you doing tomorrow :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat May 29, 2004 7:44 am

Donny M wrote:hr's49Cub,

Glad you posted that picture. My 55 hood has the brackets welded. 49-1 and Roland both have the brackets bolted. Untill I saw your picture I was going to weld them in place. You saved me from another mistake. What are you doing tomorrow :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The brackets on the hood I am redoing now WERE 1-originally factory spot-welded and the other one had broken off at some time so somebody drilled 2-holes through hood & bracket and bolted it on. I mig welded it on and removed the screws. Told the guy at the radiator shop to fill`em 2-holes with solder.
Then came Bronson

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 29, 2004 8:36 am

Point of clarification, the brackets were spot welded to the hood and bolted to the radiator side channels.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 29, 2004 9:07 am

Jim Becker wrote:Point of clarification, the brackets were spot welded to the hood and bolted to the radiator side channels.

Many times, when the spot welded bracket breaks off, it takes the weld with it and leaves a round hole in the hood. That creates the illusion that something was bolted there.

Over the years those brackets take a real beating. I almost never find a hood that doesn't require some weld repair in that area. More certain is the need for welding on the bottom of the instrument panel. These ALWAYS require welding.

If IH intended our little friends to last this long, they may have designed a sturdier way to carry the fuel tank.

The picture is a before picture of the hood for my '57 showing the bracket in place. I had a lot of arc welding to repair.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 29, 2004 9:22 am

John N wrote:PS:

Could I have your gas tank cap? HA HA Mine looks like a spray paint cap. These are the replacement vented one's that Case/IH are sending out. Man are they UGLY .

John
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was raised operating old Farmalls, and there is nothing beautiful about gasoline seeping out around the cap or spewing out the hole in the top when the tank is full and you get on a slope, or the sun heats the fuel and it expands. I'll stay with the safety cap. I guess that like me, they were designed for function, not looks. Come to think of it they are shaped about like me. :D
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”