running rough

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

running rough

Postby farmer.boy » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:09 pm

After rebuilding the carb last spring my cub has been running fine until a few weeks ago. It would start easy but would run rough when reved-up. It had a leaky petcock and often was low on fuel. I though maybe since it was drinking the dregs from the tank some trash got into the system. The old petcock didn't have a screen filter. Anyway I ordered a new petcock and while I was waiting on it I tuned up the electrical system with the parts I bought last year- points, condenser, rotor button and cap, plugs and wires. Afterwards it still would start easily but ran rough. When the petcock finally came I installed it and cleaned the main carb jet. I also discovered the air cleaner was dry because of a pin hole leak. Fixed that and filled it with oil per the manual. Now It is hard to start and runs even worse. I think it is running rich as I see whiffs of white smoke from the stack and it floods easily when starting. I have checked the float setting with H. L. Chavins clear tubing method and it is fine. I have tinkered with the carb setting with no success. I am thinking I need to disassemble the carb and clean it out. Am I on the right track?
Stanley
farmer.boy
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:27 pm

White smoke usually means water. I'd do a compression check of all cylinders or remove the radiator cap and look for bubbles in the water. Could be a bad head gasket.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Return to Farmall Cub