This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Has anyone tried "Castaloy"?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
NoSnooz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49331

Re: Has anyone tried "Castaloy"?

Postby NoSnooz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:47 pm

I see this has turned into a discussion about cast iron repair in general. I personally have successfully repaired a
couple of items with nickel electrodes but I'm sure it ain't gonna last forever.

I would like to know if this Castaloy stuff is worth shelling out the scratch for such a small quantity. I do have
some Alumaloy and I know it sorta works (I've tried it on some scrap aluminum but I haven't done a repair
yet). I have a final drive housing with cracks and I'd like to repair it.

I suppose I could be the "test dummy" and let you all know the results.

Curt
'48 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

2cubs2cases
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2cubs2cases » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:35 am

Bob in CT wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:how many propane torches would be needed to get a bottom radiator casting to 500 degrees for the Cast - a alloy to stick?

Just send your wife shopping for the day and make sure the first pie out of the oven afterward goes to a bake sale in the next County :lol:

Ha ha very funny. :D
1956 Farmall Cub,1952 Cub Hi Crop, 1959 Case 420b, 1960 Case 530ck Backhoe

wrq1103
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 81212

Postby wrq1103 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 pm

I cleaned my McCormick Deering 10-20 toy tractor with stripper, lacquer remover, and TSP. I still had no luck with Castaloy. I preheated, slowly cooled, and had no indication of adhesion.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Smokeycub » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 am

DanR wrote:I took a freeze cracked calender to the welder and he used nickel rod. The weld did not hold and he said the cast iron just was not good enough to weld. I still need the cylinder fixed and am wondering if this stuff would be worth a try.

Dan, Most hydraulic cylinders are made of pretty high quality stuff. While some castings can be unweldable it's only because of too much carbon in the iron, sometimes called gray cast iron. If, when attempting to weld, the gray cast will burn away, as if the the arc is too hot. I think you may need a different person to attempt the weld. Any other sort of cast iron is weldable, including malleable iron.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Return to “Farmall Cub”