Leaking Gear Lube

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:00 am

I just purchased a '48 Cub, and I tried to fill the tranmission with 90w lube, but it seems to leak out of the rear right-hand side by the wheel. It looks like there is a shaft with splines on it, and that is where the lube is leaking. It may be called the Rear Final Drive Housing. On the left hand side, there is a round cover/cap, but there is not a cover/cap on the right side. What is this for, what is it called and does it need a new seal or cap? Thanks!!!

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:04 am

If you were trying to fill the transmission and oil is leaking at the final drive housing, the seal in the differential bearing retainer is at fault. How much oil did you put in the transmission :?:

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:33 am

BigJim, as Bud said, I suspect you have badly overfilled your transmission. It only requires 3 1/2 pints. There is a level check plug low on the left side about even with the gear shift. You probably also have a leaky seal where the oil was leaking.

Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:57 am

Thanks for the information. Is there a cover/cap that is supposed to go over the shaft/axel? It is the axel that the right rear wheel is attached to, on the inside. Should it look the same as the left side as there is a cover/cap over that one? Thanks!

Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:10 am

The right side axle stub is supposed to be exposed. It is an attachment point for a drive gear used with seeders / side dressers.