This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12 Volt Charging Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Holes49
10+ Years
10+ Years

12 Volt Charging Question

Postby Holes49 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:34 am

Any idea what the voltage across the battery terminals should be on a 12 V system when charging. Trying to diagnose battery versus generator ?

:?: :?:
Yeah...but think how fast I'll be able to do it the 2nd time !!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pup
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pup » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:04 pm

If a generator is charging as designed it should put out 13.5 V plus or minus a 1/2 V. A full charged battery will show 12 V plus . First check your voltage from terminal to terminal with a Digital volt meter . Then crank engine and bring engine speed up 3/4 throttle. Then check again, it should be putting out around 13 to 13.5.V's Say from terminal to terminal not running you you have 11.5V you crank and have 12.5V you are charging and at 12.5 it will keep the battery charged but when you turn the lights on or crank it 4 or 5 times in a row you have a dead battery. Also there is the (how many amps are you putting out ) Charge the battery then carry it to the auto parts store most can check it for a bad cell or battery. if it is not charged it will check bad or need charged so charge it first. Starters can also be bad when they get hot they can drag and not turn over. Pup

Holes49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Holes49 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:28 am

I'm pretty sure the battery is not the problem, it takes a charge fine via a battery charger but is dead before I get the grass cut. Can I take a reading at the genaerator for the 13.5V and if the is good I guess I go to the voltage regulator.

Do you think this could also cause rough running under load as the battery die out ?

farmer.boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby farmer.boy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:32 pm

I think it was George Willer that had a very good article in Red Power Magazine on the charging system. Maybe it will make its way to the manual server with the other good information.
Stanley

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:02 pm

Stan:

I think that was Jim Becker's article. And sorry they will not be made available on the manual server. :cry: Once submitted I guess they become the property of RP and not getting into that one...... :?

Course, if Jim or someone was to write an article like that FOR the server, :idea: that WOULD be a different story :D and be up faster than you could say POST IT :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:38 am

Do you think this could also cause rough running under load as the battery die out ?

Yes as voltage drops the spark gets weaker.
Blue spark w/full batt.
Yellow to orange w/ weak or almost dead batt.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Holes49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Holes49 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:18 pm

Thanks Dale

Any idea how to tell whether it's a generator or regulator probblem ?

John

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:13 am

Holes49,

How long do you mow before the batt dies?
As for where to start I would do as pup posted then start checking all terminals for good connection.
Then start with the points in the regulator then go to the brushes in the gen.
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”