This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulics on an early 60s Lo-Boy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
philkoh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hydraulics on an early 60s Lo-Boy

Postby philkoh » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:33 am

I bought this low boy and found that the hydraulic pump was leaking into the engine oil. Got a rebuild kit and that problem is solved. Couldn't get Hytran around here, but got some Citgo hydraulic fluid that says its a replacement for Hytran Plus right on the lable.

The problem is the hydraulics will lift my Fast hitch mounted Bush Hog when cold, but once it warms up it gets sluggish and won't lift unless I help it with my arms. Any idea whats wrong? :cry:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:03 am

You will probably also have to rebuild the touch control unit as well. (big unit under the gas tank) There are different versions of this unit so you will need the part number off of the side of the unit to get the right kit.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:12 am

Bigdog is on the right track.
The other question I would ask is was the pump ever run dry.
If it was it may be worn so when it gets hot it is not tight enough
fit in the pump gears.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

philkoh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby philkoh » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:11 pm

The shaft that went holds the gear that goes into the engine was worn, but after replacing all the o-rings and seals it does't loose hydraulic fluid. How big a job is it to rebuild the touch control box? Is it something a guy with a few tools can do himself, or is better left to a mechanic? Also, I'm not loosing any fluid now is this really what's wrong?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:22 pm

If the pump was badly worn, it stands to reason that the touch control unit will also have similar wear. Perhaps from using the wrong fluid? The unit is not difficult to rebuild. Just make sure you have the right kit and that you keep everything super clean. Dirt in the rebuilt unit will kill it fast.
Bigdog

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:26 pm

You have probably already been given the right answer. But before tearing the whole unit apart, I would check the regulator valve orifice for contamination. Usually if this is plugged up, the lift quits completely. But it is worth checking. The regulator valve itself may be sticking as well, but that gets you into the total overhaul situation.

To check the orifice, you will probably need to remove the gas tank or the instrument panel, more likely both. You will find a pipe plug screwed into the Touch Control head. remove it and you then have access to unscrew the orifice (which should have a screen attached). Clean the orifice and screen and put everything back together. With luck, that may fix it.

If you get into anything more involved than this, you should get a copy of the Blue Ribbon Service Guide for Touch Control from Binder Books http://www.binderbooks.com. You can also find it on-line at Rudi's manual server (link on Rudi's posts).

philkoh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby philkoh » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:16 am

Can you give me a link to Rudi's manual server?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:17 am

Bigdog