This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine RPMs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Engine RPMs

Postby Findoggy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:11 pm

I have seen various posts talking about engine RPMs and where you should run the tractor for different tasks (the last I saw was about the cub mounted generator). My question is, how exactly do you know what RPM the tractor is running at? Would I need to by a piece of equipment, or isn't it that important? Thanks for the help! I love to learn.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:25 pm

Findoggy, For most applications exact rpm would not be essential. The reason for exact rpm with a generator is so the power generated would be at 60 hertz (cycles per second for us old farts) and at the right voltage. For anything else, keeping engine rpm's high enough so that the tractor isn't lugging down. The cub engine is governed so slow that running full throttle all day would not be an issue. But lower rpm's will conserve fuel. Most pto implements for the cub are designed to run at or near top engine speed. Except for the sickle bar mower which will rattle your teeth if you run it wide open.
Last edited by Bigdog on Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:42 pm

Thanks Bigdog, a very informative answer. I couldn't understand why RPMs would be crucial to know. Now I understand.

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:22 am

BD, my son, if you are an od fart, what does that make me and your grand-daddy George. Sheese, maybe I better go out and fertilize the grass on the family plot.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”