Reinstalling Touch Control

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Reinstalling Touch Control

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:02 am

A question for the Touch Control Experienced:

I removed the touch control unit of my 51 to better degrease prior to priming and painting. I wasn't planning to do any work on it - just bolt it back on after painting. Now it's getting to be that time.

One of the two piston rods - the "control valve" the manual calls it - has worked its way outward. There is an exposed O-ring on the shaft several inches out. The rod is still connected - presumably the leather boot is holding it from coming out further - but I can't work it back in no matter how much I push on it.

How can I get it back in? Should I replace the O-ring? I hadn't noticed any leaks prior to removal. But it has been sitting exposed for several months. I really didn't want to disassemble the Touch Control but this sure would be the time to do so while it's off, if I need to.

Thanks in advance

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:07 pm

Paul,Try to grease O-ring up with vasoline or some Hy- tran lube(on your finger) and work it back in if you can.If not take, the whole thing down.Thats what I would do.Not much to it.In fact mine was a easy.Match all the o-rings up .keep the the area clean when you work on it.Case /IH has all the parts if need be.Boots, etc.inspect all the parts and re-assemble.Use the Manual.My filter strainer was old and broken apart. Lots of $ for that.My cub is a 1960.If your going to use it alot ,think about it Just my 2 cents
RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:10 pm

Sorry for the double posts, to many baseball games today.My son's
RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Return to Farmall Cub