Another exciting episode of charging problems :)

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Another exciting episode of charging problems :)

Postby ChickenWing » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:13 pm

Hi All,

Finally got my cub running after a good carb cleaning, and fashioning a temporary gas tank. It runs pretty well, needs some govenor work, though. Anywho, I am not getting a charge out of the generator. The ammeter will go slightly left while running. It is a battery ignition system. I have polarized the generator. I then checked the voltage of the battery with tractor off. 6.35v. Then I checked the voltage with the tractor running 6.27v. Then I checked the voltage of the "bat" terminal on the cutout 6.13v. I grounded the "F" terminal of the generator, and the battery voltage went to 6.28 from 6.27. Next I plan to go through all the connections and take them off and clean them, then reconect. If this doesn't help, does it mean the Generator is bad? Are there other things I need to check? Thanks. Greg
ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:57 am

Lousy connections may be causing your problem. Especially grounds. You might want to take a look at the generator brushes, but it sounds like the generator is not charging. Do you have a rebuilder close by?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com
Bigdog
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 43154
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ChickenWing » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:05 am

I was just looking for one. This one looks like they could do it. They mention John Deere restorations on their website.

http://www.taeservice.com/
ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Return to Farmall Cub