This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hytran? . . . one more time

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hytran? . . . one more time

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:32 pm

I know the Hytran issue had been hammered to death for the past two years I have been following this site. However:

I am rebuilding my touch control unit and also removed the hydraulic pump (because the gear nut had fallen off into the oil pan. . .). I have purchased seal & gasket kits for both units. Therefore I believe I will have all new o-rings and gaskets everywhere the hydraulic fluid touches.

It had been my understanding that one should not change away from Hytran because different properties could affect the seal and gaskets. But now (at least I think) I'm starting out fresh. Under these circumstances, can I use a generic equivalent hydraulic fluid?

The only reason I'm even asking this is that my Case dealer only sells Hytran in 5 gal pails for $40. Not that $2 per quart is unreasonable - it's just that I don't need all of that. My NAPA dealer sells smaller quantities of tractor hydraulic fluid that supposedly meets the various compliances (I don't recall which ones right now) and it would sure be convenient to buy quarts as I need them. I'd like to do another Farmall restoration or two in the future, but a 5 gal pail will still last the rest of my life.

Any thoughts on this? Sorry to reopen this old issue, but I'd appreciate some advice.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:54 pm

Monday, I purchased Hy-Tran from my dealer in a 1 gallon container. They also sell it in quarts. 8)

I worked for my local dealer for 2 years. While under there employ, I was sent to a seminar in Atlanta, Ga hosted by Viscosity Oil and Fleetguard. One thing I learned is that o-rings, gaskets, and seals react differently to differnet oils. Be careful with your selection....if you have to use anything other than Hy-tran, make sure it meets or exceeds Case/IH requirements.

Have you tried the next closest dealer for availability in smaller containers :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:55 pm

Most dealers also sell Hytran in one gallon containers. You might try Carter & Gruenwald [url]www.cngco.com
If you decide to buy other than Hytran, make sure it says MS1209 compliant.[/url]
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:43 pm

I was reading this link on the hy trans question, thats what i use in mine also. One thing i was wondering was what did they use back in the 40's 50's and 60's? They didn't even have HyTrans developed at that time. did they use a straight light motor oil? In an old excavator that I used to run, we used 10w into it
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:19 pm

Shoot..... Hy Tran is cheap!

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:39 pm

Hi Paul_NJ,

I was reading in my owners manual for the 196? something the other day
and it stated that using other than hy-tran in the lift and transmission would void the warranty. So, this tells me that they feel the hy-tran is the
better fluid. I have gotten 1 gal and 2 gal containers from four different
Case IH dealers within 125 miles of each other.

Sounds to me like your dealer just doesn't want to handle smaller containers.

I would vote for going with the hy-tran after you replace the seals, etc.

I had to replace the manifold pipes on the '48 this spring. It previously
had oil in it and I replaced the seals and purged the system and filled
with hy-tran fluid. So far it works great.

Just a little input. :idea: :idea:

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:13 pm

I appreciated all of your suggestions and thoughts. I had never visited the Carter & Gruenwald site. Great site - and the prices were slightly lower than a few items I bought a year ago from my Case dealer. Sure enough- there were gallon containers of Hytran for $9.75 ! Just ordered a gallon.
There - that's done.

Thanks for your help
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall Cub”