This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck bolts...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stuck bolts...

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:39 pm

Ronny, as you see this is a common problem and it looks like the Cub Fest is your best solution! As many have also posted, I too had the same problem. For those yet to encounter this problem, this post hits the nail on the head. Two tools noted are necessities for any shop, beginners for sure, MAPP torch & the Bolt Out's! MAPP torch is better than the propane ones and reasonably priced. Bolt Out's work on rounded bolts to "studs" left. I soaked them for over a week and got impatient and took some heat to them, Bolt Outs on the curroded, rounded heads, used a socket and a breaker bar and out they came, real slick, none broken! Pretty much a repeat of other posts here, so more of a testimonial I guess. Good luck!
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62278

Postby Eikel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 am

Ronnie,
I have to say you took on a challenge, all the work will make her running all the sweeter.

Bob

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:35 am

Ronny Bailey wrote: Is that a nut or a bolt I'm seeing in front of the tool box?

It's a bolt that holds the tool box on.

As far as the battery box bolts heat may be your best choice at this point.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:56 am

Looks like I'll be buying a torch! :twisted:

"Fire is cool!" - Beavis and Butthead
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 am

I've oiled them, mapped them, then taken a cold chisel to the edge to get them loose before. Worked pretty good for me. whatever don't be afraid to do some rapping with a hammer and let vibrations work in the oil and help break the bond.
Good Luck!
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:43 pm

I think heat is the best first step in rusted-stuck bolts. Classroom physics was very long ago for me and I regret that at that time, I did not appreciate how much value it would be in the years following. But the fact is that heating most metals (Invar is one exception) results in their expansion. No ifs, ands, or buts about it, Congress cannot change that. And with sufficient force, steel will flow like toothpaste (extrudes). Heating a bolt stub expands it and it either compresses the steel of the bolt, extrudes it longitudinally, or bursts the side restraints. Heat creates minute movement of the bolt. Tapping the the bolt lightly moves it more, penetrants help it move easier. I do not use impact wrenches on stuck bolts unless the diameter of the bolt is greater than 1/2". Any method at all works for some bolts, thus the various methods have worked in some cases.
Luck favors those who are prepared

bear32055
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62258
Tractors Owned: 3-1955 FCubs serial numbers 191155,191156 and 191158
1958 fcub

Postby bear32055 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:13 pm

I had the same thing and the bolts were rounded off so no chance of a socket getting on them.What worked for me was to grind off opposite sides and put a good open end wrench on them and hit with a hammer and try turning at the same time.They finally saw it my way.

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62278

Postby Eikel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:38 pm

I use a similar persuasion technique. I place the box end of a combination wrench on the bolt head; to gain a bit of leverage I place the box end of a second wrench on one "ear" of the first wrench's open end. While torquing the bolt, I have someone else use a BFH and punch to hit the bolt head.
Eikel

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 pm

here is a sollution to stuck / rusted bolts that I have used with very good results. If possible heat the head of the bolt red hot. Then take a decent hammer and wack the head a few times while red hot. This will make a gap between the head and the surface it is tightened to. Let cool. Then try to turn. Usully they come right out. If the head of the bolt it rusted beyond use weld a larger nut to the head of the bolt. then use a socket to turn the bolt out. If the bolt is broken off even with the surface you can still weld a nut to it usually but if its not weldable you can heat it red hot and take a small chizzel slightly smaller than the bolt and with the hammer drive a slot into the red hot bolt. The let cool and use a screwdriver to get the stud out. If all else fail drill and tap.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Dave:

If I am not mistaken the Craftsman Bolt-Outs are made in the USA. So are the Irwin Grab-It or Mastercraft Grab-it bolt out sets.

Sears in the US (the canadian ones will be for a later on if needed), come in a few variations.

Starter Set

Complete Set

A very good investment and an absolute must for any Cub owner's tool chest :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 am

I was trying to figure out whether it makes an difference if you heat the bolt itself, or what it's bolted to.
With the battery bolts, it would be a little complicated to heat the axle housing evenly since you would have to heat one side and then the other side.
Also, the battery box is there to slightly complicate things.
Would heating just the top of the bolt be enough?

Lots of good ideas in this thread - I've learned a lot and appreciate everyone's input. :)
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 am

My suggestion is to concentrate the heat on the bolt.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:40 am

I happened into a sale on the bolt out kit at Sears. Great tool to have, works well. But, even the big kit is not big enough for the seat post bolts.

Finally broke down and bought the small Victor torch 'kit'. I shopped for quite a while and the fellow at the Airco store hooked me up, less than $300 with tanks filled. They also sell them at Lowes and Home Depot, but you still need to fill the tanks. Since you are going to need to fill them, you may as well give your business to the place that will help you out too. He still beat the cheapest price anywhere, including the web.

I do like to buy local when I can.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capecodcub » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Bus Driver wrote:My suggestion is to concentrate the heat on the bolt.

OK, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but......The whole point of trying to get a bolt out is to make it LOOSE! When you heat something it swells and gets larger. The inverse is when something is cooled, it gets smaller. When you put a starter ring gear on a flywheel, you put the flywheel in the freezer, it contracts/gets smaller. You heat the ring gear with a torch to expand it/gets bigger. So, if you heat your bolt you are just making it bigger in it's threads and it gets tighter! Hence, the reason to heat the metal around a stuck bolt to get it to expand. Believe me, I just went through this on the exact same bolts he is talking about, and it took me all of 10minutes to get them out. I didn't have 2 weeks to soak them, walk by, hit them with a hammer, sprinkle fairy dust on them, etc. The right tool, heat applied appropriatley, and the right "cheater bar" and they will come out. There is my rant....
David
David Svarczkopf

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:54 pm

You don't want to heat the cast because it will change the characteristics of the metal, making it weaker and more brittle. Not the thing you want to do on the axle extension (or any other part). You heat the bolt, and yes it will expand, and some of the heat will transfer to the cast. But you do not attempt to remove the stuck bolt while it is red hot, you wait a while for it to cool (I spray down with penetrant to speed things up and to wick the oil into the threads). Dissimilar metal will cool at different rates, this is what you want because as one part cools faster than the other it will break the bond between the two parts. That is how you will get the stuck bolt/screw out, not in the actual heat of the moment, so to speak.
If you think about it, heating the cast will cause it to expand in all directions, including in the direction of the bolt, grabbing it tighter. Same-Same right??
But as I mentioned earlier, try not heat the cast unless absolutely possible, and then try something else first!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”