This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Two Cubs Doing the Same Thing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GAGoober
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30268

Two Cubs Doing the Same Thing

Postby GAGoober » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:40 am

William and Olympia are early Cubs with Magnetos. I was trying to crank both with the hand crank till I got a battery installed ,I have not seen either Cub run. I was told that Olympia ran a year ago. Now neither one's engine will spin with the crank. Both will roll when in neutral. I find it hard to believe that both engines have locked up in such a short time. Any suggestions on where to look next.
Thanks, GAGoober.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:48 am

Remove the spark plugs and shoot a little of your favorite penetrant into each cylinder. After setting for a while, crank them with the plugs out or jack one rear wheel up (carefully), put it in third gear and try rocking the raised wheel back and forth to see if it will break free.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:54 am

Yes, under the right circumstances they will stick in that short a time. Without knowing their history, it's kind of a WAG, but the firtst thing I'd do is pull the plugs and see if you can turn them over then. As I mentioned in another post, you might try removing the starter and see if you can back the engine up using a large screwdriver or a small prybar. If you can, you probably have a stuck valve. If not, one or more of the pistons is probably stuck. If it's a piston, pour some penetrating oil in the cylinders and let it set a couple days before trying it again. If valves you'll probably nee to pull the head and side plate where you can get to them and soak them with penetrating oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”