This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Startey !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rockymnt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 81240

No Startey !

Postby Rockymnt » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:21 am

This Cub always started in all weather. Now it won't . It has a 2 year old zenith carb (new not rebuilt) has gas to the carb, has fire to the plugs. I took the carb apart and blew it out, it seemed very clean inside, put it back together, now it will pop, but not run. Just to get it to pop I have to choke it all the way till gas is running out. otherwise it will not even try. The timing is correct , checked it. checked the points, spark plug gaps the settling bowl, I even changed out the gas to fresh gas. The last thing I can think of is the float, are these carbs touchy on the float level, if so what is the correct higth for a zenith carb ? :evil: This little Cub is making me very unhappy, the 1466 is much easier to deal with, Diesel. :roll:
40 H, 48 ford 8N, 49 cub, Cummins Diesel with a Dodge wrapped around it. Wanted, TD 6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:04 am

Sounds like you are getting gas to the carb, but not through the carb. As stated in some other posts, spray some ether starting fluid into the air inlet of the carb and see if it will start up. If it will only run while you spray ether and then quit, then something is clogged up inside the carb. Should be a pretty simple find and fix.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

NO STARTEY !!!!!!!!!

Postby LARRY BALL » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:09 am

HAVE YOU TRIED REMOVING A SPARK PLUG TO SEE IF ITS GETTING FUEL???????????????? OR TO SEE IF IT'S GETTING TOO MUCH FUEL ??????????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LARRY BALL

Rockymnt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rockymnt » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:15 am

Plugs are dry, and clean, I will try the ether trick,. You wouldn't happen to know about the float higth ? :lol:
40 H, 48 ford 8N, 49 cub, Cummins Diesel with a Dodge wrapped around it. Wanted, TD 6

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:02 pm

Rockymnt. Concerning your carb float, try Rudi's site with Lurker Carl's carb fixes. Lots of good info there. Here is the link... http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... index.html

Also, welcome to the board. Don't forget to read the "Announcement" & "Sticky" at the top of the posts. Lots of good info there, also....
Ron

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:36 pm

Rockmnt, also check your carb and manifold gaskets, if they're leaking, you won't be getting proper vacuum at the carb to draw fuel up into the engine.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 26, 2005 4:00 pm

What ever happened with your no start last year???

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rockymnt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rockymnt » Thu May 26, 2005 4:31 pm

I got it to start !! The problem was that the fuel line was partially plugged and it was not getting a good blue spark. Someone had put on carbon spark plug wires. It now has good wires and a clean fuel line !! Just bought a set of plows (left and Right, with coulters, and depth controll) for ten dollers at an auction that had a cub for sale. The cub sold for $1,800.00, the man had no more money left for the plows. Nobody else wanted them there are few cubs in this area. So I acquired a set of plows !!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 26, 2005 4:44 pm

All Right. That sounds good. From many of the stories, including your carbon wires Previoes owner is almost a cuss word. My low boy ran good but no power. Loss of compression. PO had put in tapered plugs.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri May 27, 2005 12:26 am

Ploughs come cheap over your way :lol: Good buy Rocky,
Pat

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri May 27, 2005 12:39 am

That crud in the fuel line you found last year had to come from the tank, so start at the tank and work all the way thru the fuel system. Drain and flush the tank, clean the sediment bowl, flush out the fuel line, give the carb a good cleaning. Pay close attention to cleaning up the jets and the tiny passages within the castings. If the tank is rusty, consider having it cleaned and coated with a product like POR-15 to keep this from becoming an annual repair.

The float height won't change by itself. If it ran good after you repaired it last year, it's time to find the source of the crud and fix it.

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby Vern Campbell » Fri May 27, 2005 9:29 am

Wow, what a buy on the plows! 8) Talk about being in the right place at the right time! :D Definitely not the story of my life.

Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Rockymnt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rockymnt » Fri May 27, 2005 10:38 am

Thanks guys !!
I will go over the fuel system !! As for the plows, sheer luck !! A person gets one of those type of buys once in a green moon, looks like mine has passed !!

Return to “Farmall Cub”