Educated Guess Regarding Transmission Noise Needed

Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:37 pm

I’m looking at a ’49 Cub that’s in need of some work but I want to get an accurate idea as to how much work. Its transmission is fairly whiny and emits a “ticking” in all gears. I was told that second gear was previously replaced. When driving down an incline, the noises cease. I am trying to arrange to get the transmission cover removed so I can have a look see but, in the meantime, I was hoping to get expert opinions or even educated wild guesses regarding the source of the tick.

Thanks for your help.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:50 pm

The clicking is most likely a chipped gear tooth. However, many here will also be quick to point out that another possible source is a loose bolt where the rim attaches to the wheel. Some gear noise is normal, but if it is extremely noisy, you may have worn gears and or bearings / bushings in the transmission. Sounds like you should plan on re-building the tranny.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:33 pm

Bigdog:

I appreciated your prompt reply.

It's definitely not a loose bolt on a rim so, as you suggested, I’ll plan on transmission work. I’ve rebuilt engines before but never worked on a transmission. I guess Cub U. may be a good place to start my education.

Are transmission parts readily available or will I have to do lots of used parts scrounging at junk yards and eBay?

Thanks, again, for the help.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:31 pm

One of these places will have good used parts:
J.P. Tractor Salvage, T.M. Tractor Parts or Chown's Tractor Parts. All are advertisers on this site.