Weld on block

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:07 pm

I just bought my first cub and in trying to stop leak around oil pan, found a small hairline crack in right front of block. Am stupefied. Can it be welded? What should I do at this time. New block? :shock:

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:24 pm

not uncommon. a welder familiar with cast iron welding can repair it.

check out the sticky's at the top of this forum and http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html

good luck, and welcome to the board. :!: :)

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:26 pm

That is a fairly common problem on many cubs. If it is small, it can be welded.

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:40 pm

Doug,

That's really bad news. I found the same common crack last night in an engine I was planning to rebuild and have decided to scrap it. It had been repaired by welding and is holding for now, but I don't trust it. It had been hidden by smearing some kind of goop on it. There are ways to work around the problem, but it will never go away. Some people think they can weld it as strong as original... but sadly, they're wrong.

Replace the engine.

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:55 pm

My 48 block has a big buildup of what looks to be nickel rod weld (Bright-Silver) color in that exact common break area. I just primered it this morning ready for paint cause I aint replacing the block.

I learned that it was a common problem awhile back but I have never read or heard what causes the break.

Thank you!

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:02 pm

George,

Thanks for the picture and the exact place to look for the crack. I read several places where to look for them, but it wasn't really clear, and the engine is so covered in dirt and grease, that I have to degrease that particular spot just to see what's there.

I will check it first thing in the morning...

As for other cracks - that is a whole new post!

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:44 pm

I thought that the repair that you did George was far better than oridginal, However; if your going to scrap a motor, do it my way"Jack" I'll use it for my project cub, witch will be built with scrap parts. Nothing vergine" :roll: :wink:

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:36 am

George,

Is there no way of saving the block, say by adding a small piece of stock such as a piece of angle iron for added strength? I don't have that problem, but it seems a shame lose it all for small fracture.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:03 pm

EZ:

Look on the server for Lombard's Crack Repair. It is the answer to your question. Apparently this repair has been working for Lombard for around 25 years or so if I remember correctly from one of his emails.

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:15 am

Someone welded rebar on both sides of my '48 Cub's engine right at the seam where the timing gear cover meets the block. Looks to be pretty strong. They did a nice job too.