Re: Check out these numbers, Look Out Kroil Lovers

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:08 pm

I've heard somewhere, I think it was on a Mopar Forum, that a touch of acetone used after your favorite penetrant can enhance its creeping ability. Now I know what i'm going to use the 2 old quarts of ATF under my bench for. I already have the 1/2 full metal gallon can of Acetone. Like carl said, I would only mix up enough for any 1 project at a time in a glass container. If used properly would be worth a try.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Acetone is so powerful it is used to clean up epoxy/fiberglass resin. If any of you know how hard that stuff is get clean, (it is very sticky), then you know of what I speak. It'll take the clear coat off a car if it is spilled on the paint. No, you may not ask how I know. :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :shock: :shock: :oops:

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Let me throw out another, "poor man's penetrant " suggestion, my Grand Father and Father (blackssmiths) always used kerosene. I have used it may times and still do, if I have a small part that is seized I throw it in a container of kerosene and leave it for several days or a week and it works well to loosen the parts and also softens the rust.
BZ

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Also keep in mind acetone will dissolve paint, so when applying the mixture to a rusted bolt, any drips on the pain could effect the finish on your tractor