This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

STILL CONFUSED ABOUT MOTOR OIL

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

STILL CONFUSED ABOUT MOTOR OIL

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:14 pm

I need to do an oil change now on two Cubs that I’ve only had a few weeks. Both have always been run on Case IH Low Ash 30wt. motor oil. Both engines are original and not rebuilt. Both run good with a little valve clatter in one. Neither one smokes.

I talked to Gene D. and others about this at Farmer's Cubfest. Gene, who has excellent knowledge about lubricants, says that changing to modern high detergent oil would be beneficial, and clean up the engine of sludge. Some have said high detergent oil will weaken the seals and lead to an oil leak...others have said that modern oil will feed the seals and make them better.

Please tell me your thoughts and your recommended motor oil for these two.

Is anyone using synthetic?

Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Pete
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Pete » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:24 am

Mike --

I am new to Cubs but have some experience with Ford N series wheel tractors and Caterpillar track tractors. Anyhow, my thoughts on lubricants are that a non-detergent oil should be used when lubricating a non-filtered engine. ND oils will allow particulate matter to settle out in the pan thereby keeping them out of the bearings, etc. ND oils should also be used if an old filtered engine has been run on them for a considerable amount of time. This is because the engine will likely have significant sludge buildup which will be losened by the introduction of a detergent oil and may plug passages.

Detergent oils are designed to hold particulates in suspension so that they are carried to the filter to be removed. Therefore they should be used whenever possible in filtered engines such as the Cub's. Modern detergent additives are essentially soaps of a sort and will not adversely affect neoprene, cork, leather, polyethylene, polypropylene or most anything else that seals are made of. That said, however, if one has a seal which is questionable and is kept from leaking by some deposits around the seal then a detergent oil will cause such a seal to leak, but not because of damage to the seal. The seal was already shot, the oil just cleaned things up so that the damage was evident.

Of course, this assumes all else equal such as viscosity, API service and base. In a nutshell, I use detergent oil in all my newly rebuilt engines except non-filtered ones and I use whatever has been used previoulsy in engines which are likely to be sludgy. So far so good. Whichever one chooses, Detergent or ND, I think the choice of base oil and viscosity are far more important to engine longevity.

Respectfully,

Pete P.

Return to “Farmall Cub”