alternator

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

alternator

Postby Bronco » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:15 pm

Had the radiator out of my '71 Cubby the other day for a recore, and decided to take a closer look under the cowl. Found several damaged wires( insulation cracked, peeled, bare wire exposed). Also found the charging wire from the generator burned thru the insulation at both ends. I pulled the cover off of the regulator, and it looked burned inside also-not good!Now I question whether the Gen. is any good. System is 12 volt -ground. As a backup plan, I have a compact Mitsubishi alternator (built in Regulator) salvaged from a willing donor(1992 Geo Metro). If the Gen. is no good, I would like to use the alternator,if someone can tell me how to wire it. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated. :oops: :oops: :oops: Bronco
Bronco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:37 pm

Quick test of the generator is to remove the belt and connect a lead from the battery to the A terminal (not the F term). The generator should spin like an electric mottor, though not as fast.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby Bronco » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:44 pm

Thanks, John,I will give that a try! Bronco :) :) :)
Bronco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Return to Farmall Cub