Had the radiator out of my '71 Cubby the other day for a recore, and decided to take a closer look under the cowl. Found several damaged wires( insulation cracked, peeled, bare wire exposed). Also found the charging wire from the generator burned thru the insulation at both ends. I pulled the cover off of the regulator, and it looked burned inside also-not good!Now I question whether the Gen. is any good. System is 12 volt -ground. As a backup plan, I have a compact Mitsubishi alternator (built in Regulator) salvaged from a willing donor(1992 Geo Metro). If the Gen. is no good, I would like to use the alternator,if someone can tell me how to wire it. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated. Bronco
Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:37 pm
Quick test of the generator is to remove the belt and connect a lead from the battery to the A terminal (not the F term). The generator should spin like an electric mottor, though not as fast.