Diesel fuel to clean trans?

Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:03 pm

I've read that filling the trans with diesel fuel and shifting throught the gears for a short time is a good way to clean the transmission. I've replaced all the axle and PTO seals and I'm ready to add the gear lube. The transmission looked faily clean when I had the PTO plates off. Can this procedure do any damage?

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:21 pm

I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just make sure you don't put a load on the tractor by pulling something while the diesel fuel is in the transmission. Drive the tractor around for a minute or two then drain. The small amount of diesel left in the case will mix with the gear oil. 8)

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:57 pm

Tom
I have used diesel in car engines after blowing a head gasket.To clean antifreeze and dirty oil out . But not letting the engine start.Put new oil in run it for awhile and changed the oil agian. :)

Tranny Flush

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:18 am

I did it to my 1939 Farmall A but I put half gear lube and half diesel fuel, I ran it for about 10 min. (no load). I found that the tranny makes a lot of noise now. I think the years of build up compensated for wear.

Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:38 am

In our Oliver 880 service manual it suggests to do this, We did it when we changed the brakes and had it all cleaned out, I actually used jet fuel, since it is basically kerosene and is what we burn in the diesels. Just run it without load through the gears. I am planning on doing the cub and the C too. I wont swear to it, but i think it cleaned the tractor pretty good because some nasty suff came out of there that doesn't with normal changes.

Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:12 am

ON MY FIRST CUB I FILLED THE ENGINE CRANKCASE WITH DIESEL FUEL AND THEN REMOVED THE COIL WIRE. AFTER LETTING IT STAND FOR SEVERAL DAYS I PUT IN A FRESH BATTERY AND PROCEEDED TO SPIN THE ENGINE OVER. AFTER ABOUT THIRTY MINUTES I PULLED THE OIL FILTER AND WASHED THE CAVITY OUT, THEN PULLED THE DRAIN PLUG. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT CAME OUT! IT LOOKED LIKE MUD. I PUT IN A NEW FILTER AND BOUGHT SOME MOBIL "ONE" OIL. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :lol: :lol: :lol: