This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Slipping out of gear/ pto disengaging?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hitman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Slipping out of gear/ pto disengaging?

Postby hitman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:47 pm

I am reassemblying/rebuilding the transmisison on my dad's 49 cub. I have read that a common problem is the transmission slipping out of gear and the pto slipping out. His did not do it before I took it apart. (Bearing failed) When re assemblying this, how do I ensure this does not happen after everything is together?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:00 pm

If it wasn't doing it before, it likely won't now as long as it is re-assembled to spec. Things to look for would be wear on the edges of the gear teeth and at the ends of the pto drive/ driven shaft and collar. If you see signs of wear, replace them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ctrygent
10+ Years
10+ Years

pto jumping out

Postby ctrygent » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:06 am

If you have any doughts, replace the pilot bushing for the pto shaft and the the shift fork. Cheap insurance for not having to tearinto it later
kenneth

James
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby James » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:32 pm

My Cub has had the same problem of the PTO slipping or failing to engage since I got it. The problem in mine is that the shift collar and fork is worn and I think the bearing at the back is not holding the shaft in place properly. Also mine does not have the proper shift lever - it must have broken at some point and somebody jury-rigged a shift lever which must have been held in gear with a string or something. I got a whole PTO kit because it wasn't much more money than replacing the worn and missing parts. Still working on fixing it - getting that little PTO shift fork into its hole inside the differential case is REALLY difficult, even with the entire rear plate removed. I think I need to find somebody with small hands to help. I can just barely get my meat hooks in there! Also when you're putting it back together its quite difficult to get the shift fork to properly engage the collar. You kinda have to look through the oil fill hole to do it. (I've taken mine apart several times trying to get it to work.)

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:47 pm

The best way I have found to put the PTO back on is to get two bolts about 3 inches long, cut the heads off and insurt them on each side. Slide your Pto asm. over the bolts and inwardto the fork. you have enough room to twist it side to side geting the fork in place. then inspect it with a light through the oil filler holeand push it the rest of the way on and start a couple bolts and remove the slide pins. I didn't in vent this" It was learned right here on this wounderful board. "Jack" :)

jimeyster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Woe is me!

Postby jimeyster » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:32 pm

:( A timely subject, as I have replaced the little pin that slides in the colar twice in the past month!! I'm getting good at getting it back together, but i'd like to fix it for good. I replace the pin, re-assemle, and get only about 6 hours of pto use and it's slipping out again. Replacement pin is completely worn when I pull it out. (Yes, I heat treated it). The teeth on the colar look good. I am noticing movement in the shift lever and other places in the assembly before it really goes. Don't know if the movement is a symptom of the problem, or the cause. Jim

Jerry56
10+ Years
10+ Years

Lever

Postby Jerry56 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:17 am

When mine started that I got all the pieces to fix it, tore it all apart and the pin in mine looked new.
Turns out the shifter on top was bent and the guide that bolts to the transmission case had shifted a little. Once I slid the guide back where it belonged and put a straight shifter on it, it worked fine.
Jerry
The best of what's left

Return to “Farmall Cub”