This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

53 Cub Gas Cap Leaking

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim (in the thumb of Mi.)
10+ Years
10+ Years

53 Cub Gas Cap Leaking

Postby Jim (in the thumb of Mi.) » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:18 pm

O.K. Fellows, here we go with my very first post and a very simple quiestion that only a brand new Cub owner with no experience would ask!!! My cap was leaking on a full tank, gas sloshing around.. I cut a new gasket out of heavy rubber and that solved the problem, however, the cap doesn't vent now and whenever it gets hot out, gas is forced out of the cap.. I loosen the gap and lots of pressure excapes. Have tried to leave the cap a little loose, however still pushes gas out... Can I just drill a small hole in the top of the cap to help venting. I have checked the 2 internal vents and they seem open... I have wanted a Cub my whole life and in the past 2 months I have picked up a 74 low boy with a 60in. deck and the 53 with a single bottom, sickle bar, cultivator, and snow blade. I mow with the 74 and just play with the 53. Thanks for a great site and such great folks.. Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:29 am

HI Jim
I believe you can get a new safety cap from Navistar to prevent this problem, You need to click on a post by Rudi or go on his site, cleancomputers .com and download the Navister form fill it out and mail it in with IH serial # and machine type and they will send you a free safety cap, to solve your problem. Some folks save the originals for a show tractor.Sometimes it take weeks if not months to get one in the mail, but it will come Paul K. in N.H.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:14 am

Jim, there was originally a small vent hole in the top of IH gas caps. Yours may be plugged with varnish or paint. Clean it out , but get one of the safety capws as soon as you reasonably can. Go to this link Cub Manuals and click on the Navistar Free Gas Cap Offer
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim (in the thumb of Mi.)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim (in the thumb of Mi.) » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Thanks Paul and John, I appreciate your help. I downloaded the form and will send for the free safety cap.. Have a great day, Jim

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:14 pm

Jim (in the thumb of Mi.) wrote:Thanks Paul and John, I appreciate your help. I downloaded the form and will send for the free safety cap.. Have a great day, Jim

As long as you are sending the form in for caps add both of your Cubs Serial numbers so you can get two caps. I got 3-caps (For My future Cubs?) with numbers off of junked Cubs.
Then came Bronson

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:32 pm

I sent one in almost two years ago for my cub and A. I have yet to recieve them!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:21 pm

You should have received them by now. Send in another form.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”