This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tranmisison gears question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hitman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tranmisison gears question

Postby hitman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:20 pm

As you know I am rebuilding the tranmission due to bearing failure in my dad's 49. I put everything back as it was before with new bearings. The broblem I had by the was was my end spacer had a part of the old bearing seized on it and it was siezed so well it looked like one piece.

Anyway I have the lower shaft and gears and everything in as well as the reverse idler shaft. i noticed that the gear on the reverse idler and the countershaft gear dont mesh perfectly the teeth are contacting about 50 to 75 percent. Is this normal and is this a problem? A guy from Case on the phone recommended not changing the countershaft shims because it will change the wear pattern and make things noisier.

Will I have problems when I put the top shaft and gears in?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:02 pm

Looked at the gears in my parts tractor transmission. The reverse idler is running about 1/3 the way to the side in the countershaft gear. The reverse idler is narrower than the countershaft gear, so this results in just barely the edge of the reverse idler gear sticking out past the edge of the countershaft gear. If this is the way yours is, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember that gear only has pressure on it when the transmission is shifted into reverse.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”