how do I remove front wheel bearing?

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:24 pm

Hi--

I'm in the process of trying to replace the front wheel bearings on my Cub. I have everything off the tapered spindle except the innermost bearing, and I'm not sure of the proper method to remove it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Will - It should pull right off. You will have to use a bearing puller or gear puller or get behind it with a drift punch and hammer. If you're planning on replacing the bearing anyway, you can cut it off.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:01 pm

My post is not about wheel bearings but I notice the terms "drift punch" used. What is a drift punch and how does it differ from a regular punch?Thanks, Dan

Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:08 pm

A drift punch tapers gradually towards the tip. like so:

It is probably what most people call a regular punch. There is also a pin punch which tapers to a smaller diameter and then remains at that diameter.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:43 pm

BD Thanks, Dan

Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:42 pm

It's been a while since I pulled a front wheel bearing, but I think there is a notch in the flange on the spindle you can get a punch in to drive the bearing off.

Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:41 am

When I replaced my spindles, I had to "help" the inner bearings off with a punch. I rigged them up to soak in some diesel fuel then they tapped off fairly easy. No visible damage, but I replaced them anyway.