Rear Axle Oil Level - Lo-Boy

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Rear Axle Oil Level - Lo-Boy

Postby tamalecks » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:20 pm

Hi - new guy here - I bought a Cub Lo-Boy with three blade mower, snow plow, turf tires, weights and chains. I 'll be using it at the three acre lot we will soon be moving to. I have an owner's manual for a Farmall Cub. This has been a great help. But the rear axle arrangement is different on a Lo-Boy. Can someone send pics from their owners manual or at least send a description of where the level, and fill plugs are? I am assuming that to drain it you would take off the stamped cover as on a Cub. There's a square socket plug at the rear middle of the axle. Is this the level plug? Here's a pic of me unloading it a couple weeks ago. I'll send a pic soon of the tractor when it's been cleaned and fixed up some. Image
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
tamalecks
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:50 pm

Al, you have it right. Empty them by removing the pan. The plug on the back, just below center, is the filler and level. Each will hold either 1 3/4 pint or 1 1/2 quart, depending on which manual you look at.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 75048
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dan England » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:56 am

Jim: Do different manuals vary so much on volume of fluid which they recommend or is there a typo? Is there a difference in volume between regular cubs and lo-boys? Dan
Dan England
10+ Years
10+ Years

Zip Code: 71770
Skype Name: danengland1

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:33 am

In this case, I think one or the other is probably a typo. The smaller amount is about right for a Farmall. I'll guess the larger amount is about right for a Lo-Boy.

Once in a while IH discovered they were not quoting a correct amount and changed the books. Don't know of that happening with the Cub.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: 75048
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Return to Farmall Cub