Look at this poor little Cub!

Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:24 pm

I was browsing around on Ebay and found this:


How sad is this??? :cry: :cry:

I know accidents can happen but you have to wonder if maybe a couple "meatheads" were on the job!! :evil:

I wonder how bad it would be to fix--from the debris laying around it looks like the front axle tube is in two pieces. Maybe the tube itself broke? My gut reaction was they broke the steering gear housing base, where the axle pivot pin runs through.


PS Also there's some other "interesting" modifications done to the touch control unit.......

Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:48 pm

Take a close look at the hood/gastank joint.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:07 pm

I see that and it makes me sad :!: :( Most people don't have the appreciation for these little machines like we do. I can only hope someone will take this little guy and put some life back into him rather than part him out. :roll:

Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:49 pm

Aside from the broken axle and the hood/gastank joint it doesn't look like it was that bad of a tractor. I'm still trying to figure out that touch control modification---I've looked at it a little closer and I just about think it's electric--looks like the motor/pump unit from an electric truck bed dump or something. Looks like a wire is leading from it down to where the battery would be.


PS I wonder if that extra piece at the hood/gastank area is an attempt to make the hood lift off separate from the gastank? If so that would not be a bad modification in my opinion, don't know why IH made the two parts common that way.......

Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:40 pm

Looks to me like there was some problem with the Touch Control unit so they patched together the thing with the snow plow pump and attached a remote cylinder to the left end of the rockshaft so they could lift the mower with the right end of the rockshaft. Probably would have been less work to fix the original problem. Al, given your locale, we can excuse you not calling that thing a snow plow pump.

Yes, it looks to me like the hood was hacked off of the gas tank. I only have one gue$$ a$ to why IH made them in one piece.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:52 pm

I don't know anything about the tractor but, I bought a 5/16'' racheting chain binder from them a few weeks back. Somehow they sent me a receiver hitch drawbar with a 2 5/16 ball on it instead. When I called about it, they were very courteous and apologetic and told me to keep the drawbar and they would send me the binder right away. It was at my house in less than two days! Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some credit where credit is due. :D

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:48 pm

Donny should order a binder from them. He could use the drawbar.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:55 pm


That's real (a Texas thing) funny :!: :!: I'm still not sure about telling that story. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:19 am

:P Donny I wouldn`t tell that story if I was you. Maybe Jim or John can write an article in Red Power magazine about your story that I wouldn`t tell if I was you. :twisted: :-:-):

Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:20 am


Please, Please DO TELL :!: :lol:

I am dying here of anticipation :roll: :roll: :D :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:19 am

yup, come on now. time to tell :!: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:21 am

There are no secrets here!

Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:34 am

Sounds like somebody made a goof. What was it?????

Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:35 pm

I'm not real proud of this but ok I guess I can hide this story in this thread. :lol: :lol:

It all started when I bought my trailer. An 18’ flat bed Carson, dual axle, brakes on all fours and all the rest.
When I bought the trailer I had a very nice adjustable hitch with a 2 5/16” ball used for other trailers. I asked the fella that was getting the trailer ready what size ball the trailer needed. He said 2”, so I went in to the show room and purchased a 2” ball and a drop, which was installed on the spot. I took the trailer home and didn’t give it a second thought.
A couple of days later Natalie my son’s ex-girl friend called and told me her truck had broken down. I offered to trailer her truck to a shop near her home, this took place without incident :!: :!:
A few weeks later I was heading to Lewisville, AR and since I knew we were moving I loaded two of the Cubs on the trailer and took them to Genoa, AR where I left them with my mother in law. Again, without incident :!: I returned home with an empty trailer. (what a waste) :lol: :lol:
When the time came to load 49-1 and the rest of my stuff (treasures and junk) all went smoothly. We took off for Texas with three vehicles and a trailer pulled by a new Pensky truck. Everything was going smooth until we arrived at the check point at Hoover Dam. Here they asked to see the contents of the truck. The security guys couldn’t see to the front of the truck so they denied passage. My wife and my son were allowed to continue.
After some debate we decided that Merry and Keith would cross the dam and I would go around and we would meet in Williams, AZ the next day. After a grueling drive, (up hill all the way and at one point a top speed of 25 mph was maintained for about 20 minutes) I arrived in Kingman, AZ around 3:00am. With Merry and Keith still about 1 ½ hrs ahead I left about 7:00. I filled up with fuel and coffee and was heading up the on ramp of I-40 when all heck broke loose, well not really, just the trailer. I got pulled over to find that the trailer came unhitched and had ground the jack to a mushroom end. I walked back to town and thankfully right near the on ramp was a tire shop. The fella was kind enough to lend me a floor jack. Those floor jacks roll good on concrete but not too good on asphalt. Not to mention that it was about 95 degrees at 8:00 am and up hill back to the truck and trailer. I managed to jack the trailer up and re-couple it to the truck when I noticed on the tongue of the trailer were the stamped words “USE 2 5/16 BALL ONLY”. I had a real sinking feeling come over me. My first thought was to replace the ball on the truck, this proved impossible as the ball was welded to the truck and a welded cover placed around the nut. My solution was to take a ratchet tie down and strap the tongue down on the ball as well as possible. I took the floor jack back to the tire shop and gave the fella $20.00 for letting me use it.
I got back underway soon after, and wouldn’t dare go any faster than 50mph. After a few hours my confidence and speed increased and I wasn’t feeling so worried. That changed about 13 miles east of Gallup, NM.
I was making about 60 mph when I crossed an overpass and all of a sudden that sinking feeling returned. Once I got the truck stopped on the side of the interstate and stopped shaking I looked at the damage. To my surprise everything was fine except the trailer jack was flush with the bottom of the tongue. One of the safety chains had been ground off the trailer but was still hooked to the truck. Luckily the upper part of the jack got caught between the rear bumpers of the rental truck. That kept the trailer from going it’s own way down the interstate. Now what do I do :?: :?:
This time no floor jack and the front of the trailer was so low I couldn’t get a jack under it anyway. I used another ratchet tie down and hoisted the trailer back on the truck. At about the time I was rigging the tie down a fella stopped to help. He was a Navajo Indian and very helpful. He told me he travels that road every day and that I wouldn’t believe all the things he picks up at that overpass. I was just glad he wasn’t picking me or my treasures up off the road!
This time I used a chain and binder to keep the trailer down on the ball. I took the back roads and never went faster than 45. I drove into Albuquerque and parked at a Hotel. My nerves were shot, I mean really shot. It was the worst drive I’ve ever done, worried the whole time if the trailer would come off again and maybe kill someone. I thought many times during the drive that I should just pull over and leave it all!
I got to thinking about all the miles I pulled that trailer (loaded and unloaded) and how there was never a problem. I thought about how stupid I was to continue, but I was really stuck.
The next morning I left the trailer in the Hotel parking lot and continued on to Oakwood, where I was reunited with my family.

I learned 3 things during this ordeal:

1. Never take for granted what someone tells you when you buy a trailer. Check it out yourself :!: :!:
2. That, only by the grace of God nothing was damaged and no one was hurt :!:
3. It’s up hill to Texas :!: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:48 pm

wow! what a story. as i'm sure you know, a 10,000lb trailer comes with a 2 5/16 ball. a 7,000lb trailer generally has a 2".
that last load must have been balanced too neutral to allow the trailer to come unhitched.

probably needed to replace some underwear, too :!: :!: