This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Look at this poor little Cub!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:07 am

Donny, if it makes you feel any better I hauled a JD 450 dozer on a tagalong trailer about 20 miles with the pintle hook open. I never realized it until the trailer nosed up when I backed the dozer off it. WHEW!!!!

BTW, Danny Brown says you "like to party." What does that mean??
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:16 am

Jeff Wrote:
BTW, Danny Brown says you "like to party." What does that mean??

Well, Danny knew me in the bad old days. I'm too old now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:47 pm

Here is another towing horror story, I have two personally, but one will do for now.
I have a trailer with a 12 foot long bed, I went to the local lumber yard with my trusty Lab riding shotgun, pulling my trailer with my Chevy van, which was empty.
I purchased about 30 2x10's 16 feet long, when loading them it became apparent that the center of gravity was behind the axle, and the back of the van was a couple of inches higher than before loading.
I was concerned but figured if I drove slowly and carefully everything would be OK.
There was a slight sway but I managed to keep it under control just fine for the first few miles, but that was level ground, and that was about to change.
As I started down the first hill on the way home they swaying started to increase.
I gently stared to apply the brakes to keep from speeding up on the way down the grade, did I mention there was a 20 foot bank on the side of the road?
All he!! started to break loose then, they swaying became violent very quickly and as I desperately tried to keep from speeding up the back end of the van lifted up in the air!
I let off of the brakes and tried to regain control but the trailer whipped around far enough to hit the side of the van.
I did a 180 in the middle of the road and slid backwards right into the only place where the road didn't have a 20 foot drop, a side road entrance.
My dog was in my lap with eyes the size of silver dollars and her hair standing straight up.
I got out a looked at what remained of the trailer, the axle had snapped off on one side and the broken end of the axle had cut a nice sweeping arc in the pavement and lumber was scattered all over the road.
The fellow who was behind me stopped and complimented me on doing such a good job of guiding the van to the only safe spot around.
My reply to him was that I was only along for the ride after the swaying started and that only God could driven that wreck into that narrow space.
The lesson is NEVER, EVER have more weight behind the axle than in the front.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:43 am

From a list of "bumper stickers" my sister sent me......."IF YOU CAN READ THIS, I'VE LOST MY TRAILER!!"
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”