This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Visit with Mr. Becker

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Visit with Mr. Becker

Postby Donny M » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:53 pm

I finally got some time to go up and visit Mr. Becker. I have to tell you, I was very apprehensive about meeting him in person. Well, you know, he is very knowledgeable about our passion. He’s published :!: I didn’t want to go visit and feel out of place. (I don’t know half of what I think I do) So I left this morning with several thoughts.

1. Will I be out of place :?:
2. Is, he a real Texan :?:
3. I’ll most likely stay for an hour and have to refuel.

Well I missed a turn and got turned around and had to call Mr. Becker to get straightened out. I arrived at his place about 10 minutes later, about noon.

My first question was answered immediately :!: I stepped out of my truck and was met by Mr. Becker’s extended hand. As I reached for his hand I had a sense of familiarity, at first I couldn’t figure it out, but by the time our hands met I knew what it was. The comforting smell of PB Blaster, that’s what it was, shoot I could relax :!:

I was treated to a tour of Mr. Becker’s beautiful buildings and was very impressed. The aroma of Hy-Tran was everywhere and I felt totally at home, well my old home, I haven’t had a chance to break in this place.

All in all, it was a very good visit. Except for the part where he set me down to study the finer points of living in Texas. I really hate to study :!: :lol: :lol:

The answer to all three of my questions was a resounding NO :!:

Thanks Jim :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Visit with Mr. Becker

Postby ChickenWing » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:36 pm

Donny M wrote:The answer to all three of my questions was a resounding NO

Is being a real texan a bad thing?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:46 pm

ChickenWing,
You wrote:

Nope :!: :!:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:26 pm

I've also been Jim's guest a couple times and definitely enjoyed both visits. Being a Texan is not a bad thing. A bad thing is people that live in Texas for a year or two and think they are Texans
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:40 pm

Donny M wrote:Well I missed a turn and got turned around and had to call Mr. Becker to get straightened out. I arrived at his place about 10 minutes later, about noon.

All in all, it was a very good visit. Except for the part where he set me down to study the finer points of living in Texas. I really hate to study :!: :lol: :lol:

Donny did all right. He just make one little mistake. Instead of waiting to make a left turn on Northeast Parkway, he got in a hurry and turned left on Northwest Highway. Unfortunately, as Kipling said, "east is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet." John, you'll know where he was when he called -- Telecom Parkway at Shiloh and 190.

I think he is OK on becoming a Texan too. He is already head and shoulders above me on the "long tall Texan" part of things.

I had a great time with the visit. He was here for 3 or 4 hours. It gave us time for a "first level" barn tour and a chance to run down to a local home cookin' restaurant. We'll be doing a level two tour one of these days.

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:24 pm

Donny M wrote:ChickenWing,
You wrote:

Nope :!: :!:

The reason I asked is because your first post would suggest that he is not a real texan. (Question 2 - answer is no)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:24 pm

Jim Becker wrote: John, you'll know where he was when he called -- Telecom Parkway at Shiloh and 190.
Spent so much time there attending NORTEL schools over the years that the Marriot began to feel like a second home.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:50 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: Being a Texan is not a bad thing. A bad thing is people that live in Texas for a year or two and think they are Texans

Boy, did that strike a note with me. People move here and then after a short time (only about 15 or 20 years) they think they're natives. And THINKING you're from Maine seems to go hand in hand with extreme Political Correctness. Sigh....
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:15 am

Jeff:

Kind of similar here too!

People move here and then after a short time (only about 15 or 20 years) they think they're natives

I was, still am and always will be from Timmins, a true Northern Ontario lad. Here in the Maritimes there are two basic classes of residents. Maritimers and those from away :roll: When I first moved here, I had difficulty understanding and accepting that fact. :? Anyone who has not been here for at least 15 years gets the second group. Now I have been here in the Maritimes almost 20 years, and have finally learned what it is to be a Maritimer :) . It is not just about where you are born, but more about how you look at things. Perspective is everything. 8) So, I have finally reached that highly valued level in the life of all from away Maritimers. I am no longer from away, I can now truly say that I am from the Maritimes.

And THINKING you're from Maine seems to go hand in hand with extreme Political Correctness. Sigh....

As for the Politically Correct garbage, well they can keep that in Upper Canada and Ottawa or LaLa Land out in Vancouver.... we don't need any of that stuff here. It takes all the fun out of life. Besides, what right does anyone have to tell us how to live :?: :?: :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:58 am

Rudi,
I agree with you on Vancouver. They, (you know who I mean) don't even keep it in doors anymore. I won't take my wife or kids up there.
Never the less, I was in Halifax a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful weather, and very nice people. Plus, I had a taxi driver who was a native! Wow! Very informative, very polite, and yes, he knew of Dieppe. Gotta plan to spend some time up there. Sorry for adding to the thread drift. Not much going on in the shop....waiting on parts!
HR

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:45 am

ChickenWing,

You wrote:
The reason I asked is because your first post would suggest that he is not a real texan. (Question 2 - answer is no)

My post was all in good humor. By a real Texan I meant it in jest. You know the type...A chaw stained pick up door, so bow legged that he could walk the length of a 55 gal barrel without touching the sides, a rope in one hand and a Marlboro in the other. :lol: :lol:
Mr. Becker is a true Texan, the kind of fella we should all get to know :!:

Fellas,

I have lived in both Maine and Texas in the past. I have never claimed to be a native of either.
I now live in a very small town (pop 471) and am not a native here nor will I ever be. I do however, contribute to the community and have been excepted as a member of it. I do not try to change this community as I like it the way it is, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen to live here :!: :!:

:?: How did what started as a fun and humorous post turn into this :?:

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:14 pm

I --- too have visited with Mr. Jim Becker at his home, and was made to feel very welcome. Jim is very quick to extend the hand of greeting and friendship. He may not be a native Texan, but he does not come up short on extending Texas style hospitality. He has a lot to show and tell and offer advice/insight about, and I am sure he is accumulating more on a regular basis. As I read of Donny describing his visit I felt like I was there in person again. I think I know how Donny felt as he departed from his visit with Jim Becker. :D
Dan Robertson
PS---- Jim have you forgiven me for snatching that cub from practicaly under your nose a few years back? :shock: I think it was before Bigdog got all his Cub sniffing/tracking equipment into service.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:36 pm

hr!s 49 cub

If you decide to come back to Halifax again send me an email ,I would be glad to show you around . I grew up there and I am only 20 miles from there now and 5 miles from the airport. :)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:50 pm

Dan Robertson wrote:PS---- Jim have you forgiven me for snatching that cub from practicaly under your nose a few years back? :shock: I think it was before Bigdog got all his Cub sniffing/tracking equipment into service.

No big deal. There is always another out there.

By the way, the other one I told you about that was near the one you picked up is still in the same spot. Last time I asked they still want to let it sit there.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:19 pm

Harold:

I was in Halifax a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful weather, and very nice people. Plus, I had a taxi driver who was a native! Wow! Very informative, very polite, and yes, he knew of Dieppe. Gotta plan to spend some time up there.

I really do enjoy meeting all my fellow cubbers and it would be a privilege to meet you as well. The next time you have to come east, arrange to fly into Moncton if possible. Only 2 hours to Hafilax (inside joke, will tell you when I see you :!: :roll: :lol: ).

EZ was here a couple of days ago. Met him, Debbie and their 2 great kids. Spent 4 or 5 interesting hours with them both. Got me a great lookin CN hat for my collection and EZ went home with a little something and a great big smile :).

So far I have been fortunate to meet in person Carl, Art, Bruce, Wade and EZ, and have also had the great fortune to be able to chat with Donny, JD, John and John. All has been enjoyable.

Donny, don't worry about it. Sure became an interesting thread. Any time spent with a Cub Buddy is time well spent.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”