Pulling the sled

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:16 pm

I have been busy to the point of silliness all year this year and when Cubfest 2004 was over I stayed that way. This morning I was putting some things away and doing some odd jobs to relax. One of the things I had not touched was the Cubfest pulling sled. I wanted to move it to remove the concrete blocks from it and started to go get the Farmall Super M. Then I thought heck, I was too busy during Cubfest to try hitching Major my old 47 Cub to the sled. I didn't figure he would move it anyway since he has rather narrow knobby turf tires on the back and his wheel weights are on the sled instead of his back wheels. I had pulled the little drag around the pumpkin patch to level the paths a bit so Major was warmed up. I hooked to the sled for the heck of it and to my surprise he squatted down, bit into the sod and walked away like a champ. :-) Until I let the clutch out I was sitting there saying to myself that this was going to just be silly. Of course he didn't get the full test because there were not 3 or 4 FATG's there ready to jump on the sled. ;-)

Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:58 pm

Hi Farmer...Did you get the punkuns planted?

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:22 pm

Yes, made around 600 hills. Now if I can keep the vine borers sprayed out of them and each hill will make at least 5 or 6 pumpkins I should be up to my armpits in them. Hope I can sell a few... :D If not I could get really tired of eating pumpkin by spring.
Tilling these pumpkins has convinced me that I need to start looking this fall for a set of cultivators for Major. One row is easy to do. Using a 4 row requires more accurate seed placement than I want to bother with.