This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Local Dealer vs Online

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Local Dealer vs Online

Postby Donny M » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Went to my local dealer today to order more parts.(oh boy more parts :D :D ) After all the parts were ordered I also bought 5 gals of Hy Tran. I was taken by surprise as to the price of $42.63. Liquid gold I thought. Paid for it anyway and went on my way.
I got home and checked some online sources and found it to be much cheaper, around $35.00 and then I added the shipping, in most cases the shipping was more than the cost of the Hy Tran and in all cases the total cost turned out to be much higher than at the dealer.

I'm going to stick with the local guy :!: :!: :!:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:40 pm

Donny,
I've saved money by getting used stuff from TM tractor parts. For seals and gaskets and such, I will go to the dealership in Monroe. I recently used Carter & Greunewald as per some fellow forum members. Good prices and shipping was reasonable. Last Saturday, I went to the local dealership, another new guy behind the counter, and I even had to order 2150 red in spray cans. Thought they should have that in stock......but no. Where's your closest dealership? Palestine?
HR

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:16 am

HR,

I've also looked for 2150 but nothing on the shelve here either. The one thing that is good about the dealer is they get the parts overnight from Dallas. Don't have to wait, unless something is back ordered.

The dealer is in Palestine about 20 miles away and so far have been good to deal with. $1155 for a Woods 59. Best price I've seen anywhere.

I've ordered parts from a few online stores and so far I've had good luck. I'm just too inpatient to wait for the UPS truck.

The Big Brown Truck ain't fast enough :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:49 am

My local guy never has anything I need. can usual get it over night or 2 days , then he adds a shipping charge & Tax :x then I have to go pick it up. I will stick to the brown truck.

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:46 am

About a month ago, I purchased a gasket and a governor spring from an online dealer, because the local guy (well is 50 miles local?) was out. The items cost just under $15, and weighed less than 1 pound combined, but shipping was $13. Plus it took over a week to get it. I guess I have to let the local guy order, and hope he doesn't stick me for shipping.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:24 am

Well, my 2 cents says Dealer by a long shot. Gilles over at Babineau is both knowledgeable and efficient. Polite, understanding and has a love for old tractors too which is a bonus. He also appreciates it when I call in with actual part numbers and not just a general description of the part needed. He is also starting to stock a lot of Cub parts as lately Cub Owners are crawling out of the woodwork all over the place :lol:

He has helped me learn how to deal with part manuals, part numbers, and searches for replacement parts no longer carried by CaseIH.

Also, here is a tip. If you allow them to bring in your parts via regular stock orders (they usually order 1 or 2 times a week), then you will not be charged extra shipping. When you order and want it tomorrow or the next day, well be prepared to ante up for the shipping. It is all in how you place the order.

Certainly beats on-line ordering shipping charges.......
Last edited by Rudi on Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:30 am

I get some parts on line, but most new parts I get from my local dealer, Fleeg Equipment. He's 50 miles away, but will ship if I prefer, and is great to deal with.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:53 am

Sorry I open a can of worms but my dealer is not knowable even when I give him the Part# and has never even offered regular stock and is 30 miles away.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:56 pm

Dogman:

:oops: Oooops :oops: I forgot to mention a couple of things.

1. Most dealers/parts desks around here are about as helpful as a duck on a brick. Their knowledge is directly proportional to how much their job interests them. Most are conserned only with payday, so knowledge and ability to provide service are minimal at best.

2. For those of us fortunate to be blessed with dealers who are not only knowledgeable, but are genuinely concerned with providing good service, I hope you all let your dealers know what their service means to you.

3. For those of us not so fortunate and we have to use other means to aquire acceptable parts and service, I would suggest that not only do you write a letter to your dealer advising him why you will not deal with them, but send a copy to CaseIH as well.

These companies are driven by the bottom line these days, and guess what :?: You provide the resources (cash :!: :!: ) that allows them to have a bottom line. They will listen.

As for opening a can of worms, this one needed opening. If we are going to continue being able to get good decent parts for our Cubs we HAVE to support our dealers.

If they do not provide good service, CaseIH or its parent will deal with that. Parts for antique tractors are becoming a large part of dealer operations.

If they do provide good service let them and CaseIH know about it as well. Sugar and honey works a whole lot better than vinegar :!: Don't ask how I know that..... :oops: :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:32 pm

I worked for two years in the parts dept. @ my local dealer....it is where I obtained a passion for the older tractors, especially cubs. Here is my two cents worth.

Dealers like stock orders, big ones. It not only means they are getting turns on inventory, but also increases the $$$ amount on their quarterly stock returns. The higher the stock order values, the higher the quarterly parts returns. They are not charged freight on stock orders, so they pass the savings on as an incentive for the customer to "put it on the stock order".

Parts people like it when customers "speak the lanquage"...it makes the job easier. When I order parts, I have part numbers in hand and ready for price look-up. The number may sub but, at least the parts person doesn't have to try and fugure out what I want. Oh yeah, make sure you have the correct part number(s). You don't want to have to buy something you don't need.

I am all for supporting the local dealer. If not, you end up having to drive 50-60 miles one way to get parts or to order them. At that point, this favorite pastime/hobby will get very expensive.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:44 pm

When I walked in to order some parts yesterday. I was introduced to a fella as "the one who brings his own part numbers". His reply was "we like that" he also said that people come in not really knowing what they want and get mad when it takes time to do the research.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:37 pm

We lost our local dealer. They built a new facility just a short while ago, but forgot their business was based on service... and the expensive new empty building is now for sale. Good riddance!!!

On a few occasions I have phoned in orders (providing part numbers and quantity) for later pickup after they came in and they had a habit of forgetting to order them. It seemed simple enough to forward the parts numbers I provided, but they always fouled it up or forgot.

I would suggest supporting your local dealer only if they are running their business like a business.... otherwise, who needs them? This is the 21st century and the country has many suppliers.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:44 pm

Mr. GW,

I totally agree with you. I'm just glad that so far they've been a pleasure to do business with.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:49 pm

I stopped at four different Case IH dealers on my trip to Cubfest. They were all different. Two were clean, bright and well run and two were dirty and unorganized as hell. One had almost no parts and didn't seem to know what they did have. The people is what always makes the difference..either you care or you don't care.

My closest Case IH is up in Tucson, about 80 miles. They will not UPS me 2150 spray cans or Hytran. Its hazardous materials that might explode and take someone's arm or leg off.....cngco.com will UPS these items though.?

I have had excellent parts service with JP Tractor using UPS. No handling fees. I don't like handling fees, but that is another topic too.

Mike

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:32 pm

Donny M wrote:Mr. GW,

I totally agree with you. I'm just glad that so far they've been a pleasure to do business with.

Donny,

Yes, indeed! It's a good thing that the market place sorts it all out. It does seem too bad that so few dealers do a good enough job to survive. I agree it is a good thing to patronize the good ones.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”