This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cleaning up a serial number tag?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Cleaning up a serial number tag?

Postby Super A » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:57 pm

All,

I am working on the serial number tag on my Super A. (sorry, not a Cub but the principle's the same.) I've had to replace the seat support which the tag is riveted to, so while that part is being painted I am trying to prepare the tag. I do NOT want a repro. tag as it's important to me from a personal standpoint to use the original. The tag's not perfect, one corner has torn/broken off a little bit but it's perfectly legible and usable. Anyway.....how do I clean the tag up? It has a lot of old dirt/corrosion/crud on the back, I lightly rubbed it with the wire wheel on the grinder and it didn't do much. It doesn't have to look new, I just want to clean it up and remove the old paint around the edges where it was poorly masked off before it was repainted the last time.

Thanks!
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:01 pm

Hi Al

I would dip it into a weak (10%) muriatic acid solution several times or until its clean. Then clean and polish it with a fine cut cleaner (I like Meguires) and/or a small brass bristol wire brush. When its clean and smooth wipe it off with thinner, mask and spray it with the black. When its dry wax it.

Mike

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Heres something to try...

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:26 am

Al,

My tag on my cub was painted over with red paint. I used strypease on a q-tip swab, and recoated the tag several times. It removed the old paint (No sign of the original black paint anywhere to start with) in a couple of trys. I can easily see the 1800 on the bottom portion of the tag as well as the serial number.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”