This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Now I'm really confused...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Thanks Donny...

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:30 am

I'll take that advice and try it out. I do have a wire brush that is fairly new, so heating and brushing to clean up the area to be resoldered should take care of the problem.

I did take a look at the under side of the hood sheet metal, and other places, plus scraping paint in areas that wouldn't be noticed. There wasn't any white paint anywhere that I could see. Don't know if that means anything at all, but just thought I'd toss it into the mix. I did notice the three ribs on the hood as mentioned in another post. Fun trying to id these things.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:41 pm

You're not going to find white paint on the hood. It's newer than most of the rest of the tractor. You've got a '50 cub with a '58 hood. They discontinued the "White Demonstrator" program in the early '50s.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:35 pm

Matt,

We don't know what hood is on Rick's tractor, but it isn't a '58... it may, and should be be the original. Unlike the '58, his has 3 ribs. The demonstrators were only from Jan, 1950 to mid-March 1950, but his serial number is within that range. Here's what a demonstrator looks like after it is pressure washed.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:31 pm

I guess I got confused.

Earlier in the thread, it was established that the hood was from a '54-'57 Cub. This was confirmed by the original poster. See page #1. The casting dates all say '50, except for the engine block.

It wouldn't be unfathomable that the tractor fell, or was dropped, or something fell on it, breaking the original block and hood. That kind of situation would explain why the hood and block don't match the date codes on the rest of the tractor. We know what happens to Cubs when they're dropped (i.e. the Ebay thread), and that the engine block is a weak point.

Too bad we can't get a picture of the Cub. The mystery would be easy to solve then. Right now all we have is Rick's untrained perception to rely on... No offense to you Rick; Cubs are new to you, and it's perfectly understandable.

Did you buy it off Ebay? I remember seeing a picture of one recently that had a '54-'57 hood, but '47-'53 stickers.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:07 pm

Matt,

Not to belabor the point, but that hasn't been established. What has been established is that Rick's hood has 3 ridges... unlike the '54 up, which does not. Rick did refer to a picture in the archives of a tractor with a grille similar to his... which was from that later series.

Rick has been doing a good job of gathering information from wherever he has been directed.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:04 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I guess I got confused.

Earlier in the thread, it was established that the hood was from a '54-'57 Cub. This was confirmed by the original poster.

I think the confusion came in from the "Identifying our Cub" thread that has also been going on this week. That tractor appears to be a '55, with a '54-'58 hood, '61 engine and a screen grill.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:10 pm

Now I'm really confused. I've never read the "Identify my cub" thread.

I swear there was a picture on page one of THIS thread showing a 54-58 era cub with Rick confirming that his had that grill. Now he's referenced a picture of a 58-63. ???

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:10 am

:oops: Oh Boy watch that filler neck. My 64 had the radiator cap bent back and touching the hood. So while I had the hood off drilling out the screw holes that hold the hood on the front casting. I said what the heck but a pipe in the radiator and straitened it out wire weeled it and went to soldere it. :roll: Suprize!!!! When I heated it, on the tank just below the filler neck joint a huge crack appeared when the old solder fell out into the tank :cry: . The tank must of been wacked before and fixed at a shop because there was no way I could fix 1/4 gap two inches long with solder I tried. :idea: JB weld to the rescue till I can buy a new tank. It has held up for two months and I usually get to run her twice a week.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

The grill and hood...

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:24 pm

of my cub do look remarkably similar to the one posted in an earlier thread about the ebay tractor: (1955 model supposedly) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
It does have the horizontal grill (four bar) with the three ribs as described in the posting "Identifing our Cub" from cubmaininVA now on the second page of this site. Over the weekend, I looked a little closer at my cub. There has been some welding on both front spindles near where they connect to the front expanding axles themselves. I also found a weld on the rear axle between the left rear tire and fender. Something bad happened to this beautiful machine. None of which anyone is fessing up to. As per Matt's post before, something must have happened to cause a change in engne casting number as well as the grill and hood. However, I'm satisfied with the way she runs right now, and hopefully I can get some maintenance work done on her during the winter months. Ahem, Mr. Murphy. You can go visit with some of the other nice people now. :)

BTW George, that soap you used on that tractor sure is powerful. It took the metal right off the paint!

Rick [/i]
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”