Hydraulic oil

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Hydraulic oil

Postby LYNYRD » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:37 pm

I went to local IH dealer in search for a quart of Hy-tran hydraulic oil, he sold me a quart of Kubota hydraulic fluid and said it was the same stuff. i have not used it yet, all input appreciated..
User avatar
LYNYRD
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:26 am
Location: LA, Pine Grove
Zip Code: 70453
Tractors Owned: 1974 IH Cub
1975 IH Cub
MF 135
TO-20
Ford 3000
12 D Harrow Plow
151 Disc Plow
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:12 pm

I worked in the parts department at my local Case/IH dealer for two years. While under their employ, I was sent to Atlanta, GA to a oil and filter seminar sponsored by Viscosity Oil and Fleetguard Filters. Here is what I learned in a nut shell. All oil is 85% the same stuff.....base oil. The other 15% is additives and polymers that make a specific oil. Some equipment manufacturers require additives in their oil that will expand rubber in seals and orings while others require additives that shrink the rubber in seals and orings. There may be alot of internal hydraulic problems/failures in todays farm machinery that is caused by using the "wrong oil". The Kubota oil is likely a very good quality oil but, I would not mix it with or add it to another brand. If you are going to drain and refill, it may work just fine.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman
User avatar
Cub-Bud
Team Cub
Team Cub
 
Posts: 3221
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:30 pm
Location: MS, Pope
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby wwirz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:54 pm

I have found the IH HYTRAN oil in the NAPA auto stores.
wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Corning, NY


Return to Farmall Cub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Larry G and 14 guests