Springs for Clutch and Brake Pedals

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:18 pm

Has anyone found a reasonably priced source for the three clutch and brake return springs? I seem to recall a post several years ago. I know OEM has them, but $8 each seems a little high for a simple spring. Can you safely cut and bend the straight end of a spring to shorten it? Sure look like drum brake springs, but they're a little longer.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:12 am

I've taken a good spring to the local hardware store and matched it to a door spring with the same diameter, but much longer. About $3. With a good pair of wire cuttters, I was able to cut and shape them similar to the original. But it was cumbersome. Since they are mostly out of view, one could get creative. My '50 had a whole door spring wired to the clutch pedal and hooked to the back of the floor pan! :roll:
HR

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:29 am

Talk to Tom at TM Tractor. I got 6 used springs in good shape for a good price. The 3 new ones he sent along as well, cost me twice or three times if I remember correctly what I paid for the used ones.

John might have them as well, and maybe David.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:45 am

I use a bungee cord for the clutch, color red. Gets lots of comments.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:49 am

I have an old set of bed springs that I pull behind the tractor to level the yard with that just happened to have the same size springs on it. I salvaged a couple dozen of them. They work great.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:50 am

:D I took one of the original springs to my local auto parts store and he was able to match it pretty close. I believe they were break springs. All I had to do was cut the long end and bend a hook in it. They work fine and were only a couple bucks apiece.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:59 am

Home Depot has general purpose springs that were close, just not bent at right angles. they work well, though. made by Prime Line #SP-9624

old trick my Grandad used to install springs. a piece of 1/4" nylon line and a large screwdriver. loop one end over the spring hook and the other around the screwdriver. with the spring installed on the pedal end, use the screwdriver as a lever against the axel tube to stretch the spring in place. then simply untie the line. :) thanks, GranDad :!: