This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

plowing question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chuck Melburg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61469
Tractors Owned: Cub 1949, 1963
Cadets 2 Originals, 100,108
3 100 manure spreaders. One is fully restored.

plowing question

Postby Chuck Melburg » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:52 pm

I want to take my cub to Cub-A-Rama this year with her 193 moldboard plow. I have never plowed with it or for that matter have never plowed at all. I wanted to try it out down there so there will be plenty who have plowed can guide me. My question is, do I have to have my rear wheel weights on to plow? Thanks for your help
CHUCK
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:10 pm

Chuck,

I plow my sandy soil to full depth without weights, but I doubt you can plow that heavy soil at Fredricktown without. One problem...if a wheel starts to spin, the tractor (and the plow) lowers a little, stopping you instantly.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:24 pm

Chuck, you might send Jamie an email and see if there is going to be any place to plow before you set it up, but as George said the soil at Fredericktown is heavy (lot of clay) and unless it has been recently broken up a set of wheel weights will be needed, or might get by with chains. Also be sure your molboard is shiny metal and not rusty or painted. A sander wheel in a drill or angle grinder works good for that, followed by a coat of grease or spray wax to keep it from rusting.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:21 am

Where I live in up state NY wheel weights are a must both front & rear.
We even have our rear tires loaded & somethimes still spin out.
John for get the chains as when you do spin you just sink twice as fast. :oops: :oops: found that out the hard way. :wink:
PS: a shiney molboard is a must.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:46 am

I've never tried to plow without wheelweights here, but the first time I broke my garden spot here I still had my chains on from plowing snow and they helped. I was plowing Fescue sod in ground that had a lot of clay and hadn't been broken for 15 to 20 years. Wish I'd had my disk plow then.

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

molboard is shiny metal and not rusty or painted

Postby Ricaroo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:36 am

(molboard is shiny metal and not rusty or painted)

I understand the not rusty and shiny metal, however, what is the draw back to painted?

Rick

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:56 am

The same as rust the dirt will stick.
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:59 pm

Back when my Dad was in his teens ha was working for a man that got a new plow for his F 20. The molboards came coated with a shellac type substance and instruction on how to remove it before plowing. Being a typical teenage know it all Dad decided that there was no need to remove it and that he would wear it off plowing. About an hour later he was back at the barn following the instructions.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:24 pm

Three of us did a plowing demonstration last year at Cub-Arama with Cub Cadets and 10" Brinly plows, and the area we used had been building sites that had been razed. Lots of heavy clay, rocks, bricks, and tree roots. Pulling the plows 6-7" deep with about 3 sets of wheel weights (same as Cub front weights) was not too much of a problem, but the roots and some of the old building materials would stop you rather quickly. You will probably want to use the Cub rear weights unless they use a different area to plow this year.

Return to “Farmall Cub”