This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Lube Leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering Lube Leak

Postby Findoggy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:10 pm

Hello all. I have a 1960 cub and am using a 90 wt gear oil in the steering gear box. It continues to leak and I was wondering if there was an easier fix than taking off the axle and steering box. Any suggestions? If not, how hard is it to fix the problem given my minimal experience with repair projects and minimum of tools. Thanks for the help. Findoggy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 pm

Findoggy, If you are lucky it will be leaking out of the top where the steering wheel shaft enter the box at the bottom. Its not a big job to replace the shaft seal & gasket. Steering wheel has to come off first thing. Others or myself can guide you through it if need be.
Then came Bronson

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:04 am

There are a couple places it could be leaking. Another common area is the big gasket between the two halves of the steering gear housing. There are about 5 bolts holding them together from underneath. You could try tightening them. Do you have a manual or a parts book? These how-to's will show you where all the gaskets and seals are, and help you determine the source of any leaks.

I'm replacing that gasket, and a couple seals on my '67, should be good for another 40 years after that.
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:12 am

Oh,

It is amazing how little tools you do need to work on these. If you do need to take off the front it's not that hard. But, if you do a front split, you will have to drain the rad, and follow the directions for a front split. I've never tried it, but you should be able to remove the front axle, and then remove the bottom half of the steering box to replace that big round gasket.

Anybody ever do it?
Just Do It !

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:40 pm

EZ, I'm hoping I don't have to split the tractor...I don't have any jacks or stands or anything like that. I'll try tightening the five bolts you recommended. The only manual I have is the owners manual, no parts manuals. I'll check Rudi's site.
Johnbron, thanks for the suggestion you had regarding where the steering shaft goes into the housing. i have indeed seen air bubbles coming out from around the shaft and a trail of oil down the casting from there. What would changing the gasket and seals at that point entail? Thanks for your help gentlemen.
Findoggy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:18 pm

Findoggy:

do you have access to a welder? can u weld? If yes, then making tractor jacks is very simple. I am learning to weld and I made a set for Jethro. Took me all of 3 or 4 hours I guess to mark, drill all the holes then weld the plates for the pads on the cub and the floor pads for the jacks. I think it cost me about $20.00.

It sure makes splittin the tractor much easier!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:01 pm

Rudi,
No, I do not weld, but I have neighbors that do. If necessary I could approach them with plans for the jacks. Do you have the measurements, or a drawing of the plans you used to make your jacks? If so, would you be agreeable to my using them to manufacture my own jacks? I don't really know what they are supposed to look like and don't want to have them make something which won't work.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:08 pm

I bought a pair of adjustable jack-stands at Wal-Mart for $10. I couldnt build a pair that cheap.
Then came Bronson

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:02 am

Personally, I have never used a jack stand on any of 3 tractors I've worked on, including a '44A. I have used a couple small car jack stands on the axles if I'm removing a wheel, but I like to use big wooden blocks to hold things up by the torque tube. If I'm doing a front split, I use a come-along and a good sling hooked to the ceiling.

I don't have anything against jack-stands, I just don't have any. There are a couple on this site I've seen and liked, the best ones have locking wheels under them.

All this to simply say, if you're careful you can make do without.
Just Do It !

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:38 am

I guess I'm the lucky 1 then.
I have never used jack stands on a tractor.
I have a over head 2 way I beam over head in the shop.
Just use the chain falls to do the lifting & holding.
I do have some 10x10 blocks of hard wood & some smaller blocking
but unless I have to leave it for a few days i don't use them.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:52 pm

Findoggy:

No problem, I can email the stuff to you probably tomorrow.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:56 pm

Thanks Rudi, much appreciated.

Return to “Farmall Cub”